Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • tubeless tyres on Mavic OpenPro's… recommendations?
  • lardman
    Free Member

I’m not a road rider, but have just got some road wheels for my gravel bike, to do the occasional road ride.
    Which tyres will go up well tubeless on OpenPro’s? Don’t need superlight, or racy. More like fairly hardwearing.

I’m a big fella, so not tiny skinnies either, as they are only for occasional road rides.
    Any recommendations?

dogxcd

v diff with open pros -I managed with stans notubes rim strips and a compressor ,using hutchinson fusion and
    intensive tyres

reshaping the casing with an inner tube overnight helps a bit

lardman
    Free Member

ok, thanks.
    I was looking at some Schwalbe G-One Speed Road Tyres that are tubeless ready. In the 30c size.

ALthough i saw some opinions suggesting that the Hutch intensives would work well. I might try buying one and see if it’s too tight., I don’t fancy being stuck miles from anywhere, unable to repair a puncture.

I guess i might just try tubes for a while and see how many punctures i actually get.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Open Pros are narrow and will give a wider tyre a light bulb shape which, in my experience, doesn’t aid tubeless fitments, especially ones that aren’t meant to work, one little bit.
    You won’t get many punctures anyway if you run sensible pressures. Grip isn’t an issue on gravel so run 50+.

dogxcd

I wouldn’t go bigger than 25mm on OP
    they are v tight to fit ,but it gets easier
    I’ve found that lezyne all metal tyre levers work best
    & strong thumbs !
    good luck 🙂

dogxcd

ps -Ive tried many sealants & have come back to Stans
    avoid Fenwicks like the plague
    also don’t add sealant until you’ve got the beads sealed-I’m assuming that you’re familiar with tubeless under other conditions
    cheers

lardman
    Free Member

Hi all- good to know about the ‘best’ size tyre on OpenPros. I’ll aim for 25c for best maximum then.

I’m used to the faff of tubeless on the MTB. So have plenty tyre levers, inc Leyzyne metal ones.

I guess the only reason I’m thinking of tubeless is to prevent punctures. If the faff of tubeless outweighs the possible frequency of punctures, then maybe I’ll just use tubes.

TiRed

Fitted schwalbe to ksyriums with no issues. They have the same narrow cross section. I was less successful with OP’s, possibly because of the tape that isn’t needed with ksyriums.

Just ordered the same tyres so will see how they go on. Never found the Ones overly tight and removed easily with a very simple plastic lever.

smiffy

“I wouldn’t go bigger than 25mm on OP”

I’ve never had a tyre as small as that on an Open Pro?

How come they are so popular in CX?

28C, 35C, 40C and 45C all work well for me.

DezB
    Free Member

As far as Schwalblwlble G-Ones v Hutchinson Fusion – G Ones every time.
    I use Hutches in the summer, and they do get the rare puncture (sealed by sealant).. Shcwablewablws don’t puncture! I’m not even tempting fate by typing that.

pirahna
    Free Member

I’ve run 32mm CX tyres on Open Pro’s for years and haven’t died.

dogxcd

fair enough-the OP was about road use

images below show open pro width as15mm & schwalbe tyre rim width/tyre size recommended -chart
    I think possible and optimal are two different ideas

I found the larger sizes on the smaller rim to be too ‘light bulb’ in cross section for me

[img]http://road.cc/content/feature/213558-what-width-tyres-are-best-you-youve-never-had-wider-choice-high-performance[/img]

all opinions expressed are just that ….

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve run 25mm Schwalbe Ones and 25mm Bonty R3s, on Open Pros tubeless. No problems. I use a compressor to get them seated but once they are they stay up okay.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I used to run 35 sammy slicks on open pros no problem (albeit non tubeless). Couldn’t you just remove the valve cores and pop some stans into the tubes?

iamtheresurrection

I put a thread up last week about putting Stans into an inner tube for similar reasons, pretty much everybody said it worked well.

Pressure is high, so no disadvantage using tubes for pinch flats, all I want is protection from thorns and similar. I’ve got some 40c tyres on order which will go on Open Pros with Stans syringed into inner tubes. Might be worth considering?

lardman
    Free Member

thanks for all the suggestions…
    I bought some Schwalbe One’s in the end. i’m gonna put in tape and tubeless valves.

Fingers crossed, and not broken.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘tubeless tyres on Mavic OpenPro's… recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.