Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • tubeless tyres for a 200kg rider
  • hockropper

a good Buddy is over 200kg and rides tubeless, trouble is he finding the rims are hitting, are there any suggestions for a rider on the amply curvaceous side

5thElefant
    Free Member

5″ tyres and 15psi should solve that.

andysredmini
    Free Member

More psi. The lower pressures due to tubeless are still proportional to the riders weight.
    Unless the max recommended psi has been reached then I’m out of ideas. Maybe bigger volume tyres.

5thElefant
    Free Member

He’ll be over the max psi for normal tyres I guess. Fat bike tyres generally go to 30psi. I ran 8psi at 100kg on 4.8s.

Fat or possibly + will certainly work. Presumably it’ll mean a new bike to fit them though.

tthew

Rough calculation, according to Stans is

weight in lbs/7 + 2 for rear
    weight in lbs/7 – 1 for front.

So your mate should be running tyre pressures at 63psi, 😯 (not sure the + and – is really going to make much difference at that pressure) at which they’ll probably bust the beads off the rim.

Just stick with whatever Massey Ferguson spec’d as standard, and use inner tubes.

chilled76
    Free Member

200kg!!!! Can we have a picture of him on his bike?

sprocker
    Free Member

I run 35psi at 98kg so he will need to beyond the tyre limits I would think. He could email maxxis, continental etc for suggestions

tymbian
    Free Member

I was wrong then thinking you’re big enough for an apology.

5lab

a plus bike would help, as the psi should drop – lets say he drops by 1/3 (30psi for a regular rider down to around 20 seems pretty normal) – that’d be 45psi for him, which might be within limits

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

And what air pressure in the suspension?!?! The Rockshox manual only goes up to 220lb (which admittedly isnt particularly heavy, especially in the US).

househusband

http://forums.mtbr.com/clydesdales-tall-riders/

Might be worth having a search/trawl through this forum – I think you can search without having to actually register.

nick1962
    Free Member

Good to hear that your mate is out getting exercise but if he’s over 200kg?? I’d also be concerned about the resilience of the frame as most of the manufacturers specify a weight limit well below that.

Daffy

Really 200kg, not 200lbs?

nick1962
    Free Member

chakaping
    Free Member

What tyres is he on now?

Has he already tried DH tyres? They will go tubeless and he’ll appreciate the extra support in the carcass.

Normal tyres/rims just aren’t designed for that kind of rider weight.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Neither are people unfortunately.

About Gaz

tthew

I’m not really sure that a fat bike would make much difference, as the wider the tyre the lower the max pressure.* Perhaps one of of our other members could give us an idea of max working pressures for 3″+ tyres and the appropriate rims.

*If you are considering tyres with a broadly similar construction weight/method, before the pedants point out that truck tyres run at 100psi+ and they are hugely more girthsome than bike tyres.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Jumbo Jim’s are rated 30 psi and my carbon rims are the same. You wouldn’t need 30 psi even at 200kg. 20 should do it.

tthew

There you go, I knew someone would know. Thanks 5thElefant.

tymbian
    Free Member

110kgs here on Maxxis 2.8 with 20/22psi f/r

jkomo

Pounds shirley.

papamountain
    Free Member

31.5 stone? I’d say dinging rims is the least of his worries..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘tubeless tyres for a 200kg rider’ is closed to new replies.