• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tubeless tyre with no sealant – numpty question
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Will it work, on a tubeless-rim? Or is sealant compulsory?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Yes, it will work without sealant.

wwaswas

it’ll be fine just not as puncture resistant as somethign with sealant in.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

cheers. Looks like it’ll be last-minute faff before riding this weekend as a mate pops his tubeless cherry.

allthegear
    Free Member

If he’s popping his cherry, I’m not sure you both want to rush into things all at the last minute. Unless you take proper precautions, it can all go a bit wrong. Don’t want to find yourselves with it all deflating at just the wrong moment…

Rachel

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thanks Rachel 😉

letmetalktomark

I was also curious about this.

Tubeless seems a great idea to me but I know of a good few riders that run tubeless and still carry a tube. They do this in case the tyre burps or they have some sort of catastrophic failure that only a tube would fix.

Presumably in this instance you would have to deal with a tyre still full of sealant.

Not running sealant I guess increase the chance of a puncture but in the worst case scenario its a cleaner job.

I’m back off to sit in the corner now and think about my musings …..

Dyffers
    Free Member

Not running sealant I guess increase the chance of a puncture but in the worst case scenario its a cleaner job.

The simple idea is tyre full of sealant = most small puntures seal themselves and you never know about them (until you check the tyre in the distant future).

(Yes, I do carry a tube. No, in 12 months I’ve never needed it. It’s like a comfort blanket.)

wwaswas

in the worst case scenario its a cleaner job.

yes although, tbh if a hole’s so bad you need to fit a tube then you’ll have lost most of the sealant already.

I use the little anchovy things to fix tubeless punctures (with sealant) and *touch wood* don’t normally need to take a tyre off the rim, remove rim strip and fit tube.

PJM1974
    Free Member

You can seat the tyre, but you’ll wish you’d added sealant when the inevitable happens.

I’ve tried running tubeless in the past and when it works it’s ace. However, I’ve avoided a lot of faff and mess by simply adding Stan’s or Joe’s fluid to lightweight inner tubes.

The embarrassment when my brand new, shiny bike deposited a puddle of what looked like fan mat on the floor of the train carriage was almost too much to bear.

muddyground
    Free Member

The spare inner tube is usually a 400g comfort blanket until you rip a sidewall out on flint [come forward Maxxis Aspen please]. Advice seems to be to carry two inner tubes, but that seems excessive. But yes, it does seem a faff, especially as carrying a spare inner tube also means puncture repair kits. As for dealing with a tyre full of sealant, if the puncture was that bad in the first place, by then all of the sealant would have transferred itself from tyre to cyclists body – and it’s a real bugger to get off. Meanwhile your mate who is dismissive of tubeless tech stands by the trailside laughing and nodding sagely.

Never had a tyre burp on me – must be a factor of running tyres too big for the rim? Or a rim too narrow for the tyres….

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I would not condider using tubeless without a bit of stans inside. As for burping, well those on here might remember my virgin rant about the front tyre burping and deflating rapido during a rocky down hill in the peak – perminant ‘dink’ on a lovely new rim 🙁

Since then, with a broader understanding, I’ve never had a puncture or tyre burp….with stacks of down-hill rocky action. Had a leaky valve that I didn’t seal properly, initially, that’s about it.

Yesterday, collected wheels after re-tune post pro 2 evo build. Pulled all the old stans off, applied babyoil gel to the bead (as posted before on here) and bang. Up they both went with my trusty race foot pump as per without any probs. No CO2 or visit to the garage faffing.

I’ve told you about holding the wheel off the floor right?

D0NK

but in the worst case scenario its a cleaner job.

can I remind you that this is the UK where we have rain, mud, sheep, cows, dogs and the odd unsanitary human. Chances are the outside of your tyre will be covered in much worse stuff than latex anyway.

Yes you can run tubeless dry, I have done/still do, I’d say >90% of my punctures are snakebites and if you manage to snakebite a UST tyre sealant won’t fix it anyway IME. You may have more thorny issues where you live tho.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tyre with no sealant – numpty question’ is closed to new replies.