• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by gee.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless Tyre Repair with standard patch kit?
  • Ladders
    Free Member

Just got a set of of new wheels, Alpines on Stans hubs, and been setting them up today.

Used the non UST Rocket Rons that were on my old wheels. The front went on and inflated really easily. Although its leaking through the tyres just above the bead. The rear tyre had a 3/4mm hole though so I’ve just put a tube in for now.

Can I repair the hole with a standard patch and glue or is it a waste of time and I need a proper tubless repair kit?

Klunk
    Free Member

IME standard tube patches have a tendency to split on longer holes and on the side walls.

Ladders
    Free Member

Will it stick ok though? It’s right in the middle on a fairly small hole

Klunk
    Free Member

should glue ok with trad vulcanizing glue, small holes are OK anything approaching 5mm you will have issues

cynic-al
    Free Member

what he said, will be Ok in small hole

Ladders
    Free Member

Ok, cheers guys! 🙂

johnnystorm

Oi Oi Ladders!

Just did this today, bloody sidewall split in 40 mile old tyre. 🙄

Slapped on the biggest patch I had hoping for the best. It’s gone back up ok. For how long though…… ❓

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve managed although the bigger sheets from weldtite are better than patches as you can cut to (larger) size.

I also stitched my tyre with some nylon thread. THe patches aren’t that strong so while they’ll seal they don’t offer much structure. The first attempt without stitching lasted a bout 8 rides. The second one has been going strong for longer than I can remember.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

The guys at my lbs use standard patches with glue on tubeless UST tyres, I personally bought a velox UST tyre repair kit and I’ve used it on a fairly big hole it felt solid as when I glued it on and 5 mega,rocky rides in and tyre pressure seems about the same to me so It’s certainly repaired well

Graham_Clark

Yep, between normal patches and superglue you can sort all but the really big splits.
    Just make sure the tyre is really clean on the inside or the patch won’t stick

gee
    Free Member

I use the Weldtite patch material then cut to size. Sometimes it needs a couple of layers.

GB

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Tyre Repair with standard patch kit?’ is closed to new replies.