Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tubeless tyre repair method
  • thorlz
    Free Member

Had to put a tube in my rear tyre today after a hole that wouldn’t seal, really should have got round to getting a trail tubeless repair kit.

Anyway, a 4-5mm split on the main tyre body, by the tread. What is the preferred method of repair. Puncture repair patch / piece of inner tube glued to the inside of the tyre?

Also, what is the favourite trail repair kit that people are using?

Only been running tubeless since January and I must say I am very happy with it. It has saved me 7 punctures that I know of/ heard plus about 6 thorns that I have removed from my tyres.
    Well worth the setting up effort.

Doug
    Free Member

Weldtite Outside Tubeless repair kit.

Can repair the tyre on the rim without loosing all the pressure so its quicker to pump up. Also doesnt matter if theres sealant inside the tyre as it grips to the rip rather than the inner surface of the tyre.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

I prefer the Weldtite style repair kits…like this
    However, once you have the kit, don’t be conned into buying another complete kit for the sake of a few strips of repair plugs – buy something like this instead. Works just fine for me & I just buy more glue as & when required.

thorlz
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies, I shall get one of them kits for future use.

As I have to remove at least one side of the tyre to remove the tube. Would you recommend repairing from the inside or just plug the tyre from the outside?

gee
    Free Member

Those plug the hole kits with the tools make a right mess. Just remove the tyre, patch it and re inflate. You’d have to remove the tyre anyway to remove the tube you fitted when you got the flat. I’ve just used normal puncture patches – but the big feather edge ones – and normal patch glue for the past 2-3 years. Works great.

thorlz
    Free Member

Patched my tyre up with a feathered patch and normal glue as recommended. All done and hold air again, give it a proper run out tomorrow.
    Repair kit also ordered, cheers all.

gee
    Free Member

I really wouldn’t bother with those jab it in things when out riding – just stick a tube in. Even at home they are such a faff and look hideous – it looks like your tyre has a tampon string coming out of it.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Why are they a faff? Piece of cake to do & can repair & inflate faster than I can fit a tube & inflate. As for bits sticking out…you do trim the excess don’t you? It also means I don’t have to take the tyre off, repair the hole & then re-seat tubeless – not too much fuss if I’m home & can use my compressor, but more of a chew if away somewhere.

gee
    Free Member

Yes I do (did) trim off the excess… They just ended up coming out and were not totally reliable, whereas patches are. Whilst out riding it’s just easier to lob a tube in.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Odd, as I have never had a repair fail. Use the bradawl, then plenty of glue with the repair strip & job done, fully finished repair on less time than it takes to fit a tube & re-inflate. No messing about setting up tubeless later either.
    I also leave the bradawl in the hole as I prep the repair strip & glue – saves losing any more tyre pressure than you have to.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tyre repair method’ is closed to new replies.