Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tubeless tyre puncture – what now?
  • rascal
    Free Member

First flat yesterday since went tubeless.
    Small slash/cut as opposed to small hole.
    Had a repair kit with the anchovies but not sure it would have sealed it anyway – may be too wide and tyre completely deflated too. Didn’t have a tube so ride over.

Got tyre off back home…plenty of fluid gunk in there so poured out and cleaned tyre and rim.
    What’s the best way the seal the slash – it’s maybe 5-10mm. Now I have the tyre off can I patch it form the inside? Someone suggested this:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/panaracer-ust-tubeless-tyre-repair-kit/?affwin=Y&affid=78888&utm_source=AffiliateWindow&utm_medium=Editorial+Content&utm_campaign=78888&awc=5923_1496048298_3ddc33c2311ccd8146720ef6109d15b6

Is this my only option or can I use normal puncture repair kit patches but on tyre not the what would have been a tube?

If the tyre is no longer useable as tubeless I’ll chuck a tube in it until the tread has worn out and then buy another – not binning an otherwise perfectly good tyre just yet.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anchovy will seal that no worries, you get slightly bigger ones than the bike kit ones on ebay, meant for motorbikes.

Don’t use normal puncture repair patches, they’re not up to it.

Had a repair kit with the anchovies but not sure it would have sealed it anyway – may be too wide and tyre completely deflated too. Didn’t have a tube so ride over.

It doesn’t matter if the tyre completely deflates, as long as it’s not unseated, you’ll still get an anchovy in there. I prefer it when it’s completely out of air to be honest, allows the glue a bit of time to do it’s job, and not get blown out.

bungalistic
    Free Member

I’ve just done similar yesterday, there’s a 4-5mm slash in the tread, it usually fixes ok with a larger tube patch, sometimes with a bit of gorilla tape on top. Only time i’ve written a tyre of is when I’ve put a hole right next to the bead. Worst result as you say is to just run it with a tube in.

Always worth having a spare tube with you though.

carlos
    Free Member

As you already have the tyre off and cleaned, id be looking at a repair with a tyre plug. You can get them off eBay or if your lucky, you could try a cheeky ask at a local tyre garage.

Ime they are much better than a standard tyre patch and will defiantly see the life off the tyre out running it tubeless again

Carlos

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    bruneep

Works fine for me sealed from inside using normal patches, obviously need to dry and clean tyre not something you can do trail sde . I buy the sheet rubber from halfords and cut to size.

carlos
    Free Member

No beer – they are the tyre plugs I was on about.

deadkenny
    Free Member

The Panaracer kit (might be me who suggested it) is same as the anchovy stuff, it’s just that it comes with a big rubber patch you cut into strips like the anchovy stuff. The bonus is you get a lot more repairs out of the kit than the three anchovies in other kits.

These kits are intended for trailside repair without taking the tyre off, and the Panaracer kit has worked great for me (was highly recommended to me by a friend, and I’ve been recommending it to others since). Still running with the repaired tyre and it will likely hold until the tyre is dead. All you’re doing is gluing in a bit of rubber and then the sealant patches any remaining hole.

The other kind of repair is take off the tyre and slap a patch inside. I’ve used tubeless repair patches and plain old tube patches. Both work perfectly.

Some holes won’t fix anchovy style and need a patch inside. They anchovy stuff is best for holes in the top or small sidewall holes. Big sidewall tears will need a patch inside (or tube temporarily).

Shred
    Free Member

I had that on Sat, but it turns out my stans is all dried up (in a month, since I fitted the tyre), the tyres deflated again, and I got a snake bite, so now 3 holes.
    Pulled the tube out, it has a massive hole from something in my saddle bag rubbing on it.
    So all the tools, and still phoning the wife for a pickup.

rascal
    Free Member

kenny – it was your recommendation 🙂

The other kind of repair is take off the tyre and slap a patch inside. I’ve used tubeless repair patches and plain old tube patches. Both work perfectly.

Was hoping someone would say this…I have tube patches so will try that while tyre off.

stevextc
    Free Member

Was hoping someone would say this…I have tube patches so will try that while tyre off.

Superglue the actual tyre together first (stops the tube patch being pushed through)… then make sure its proper dry and sand it off a bit then apply normal tube glue inside, let it go tacky then a tube patch…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve yet to have a picture I couldn’t seal with anchovies, but the little brown one are generally not up to the job. I’ve had thread motorbike ones in a large hole once.

jam-bo

I’ve shoved three anchovies in before to seal a hole and get me out of the back of beyond. Was still holding together fine about 500 miles later.

SirHC

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    These look good….

Repaired half a dozen or so tyres with those style patches and vulcanising (inner tube) glue.

Make sure the inside of the tyre is clean, plenty of glue, pull the plug through and apply tension to the stalk until the glue is dry (I hang the tyre on the workstand and hang a pair of molegrips off them), then snip the stalk off

hainman
    Free Member

I put a nice slice in my DHR2 and went with a normal puncture patch and gorilla glue,left it overnight and it went up tubeless no bother

Tracey

Plug and co2 on the trail, sometimes more than one plug. Then repair with the motorbike patches above once back home. Salvage and reuse any Stans thats remaining.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tyre puncture – what now?’ is closed to new replies.