Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Tubeless tyre puncture plugs
  • beano68
    Free Member

As stated above …. which is the best ones to get !? just had a puncture which the stans couldn’t fill, its a good job its happened now as its reminded me to get some for Ard Rock 😕

nemesis
    Free Member

I used weldtite ones.

misterduncan
    Free Member

Me too, although I stocked up on vulcaniser and twiglets on Ebay as it was super cheap.

beano68
    Free Member

Thanks guys !! just seen the reviews on them and they do look spot on 😀

Trip to Evans in the morning

AlexSimon

I just bought the Weldtite ones – Cheap, cheerful and do the job
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/weldtite/tubeless-patch-kit-ec012005

I cut the anchovies/twiglets in half as they are plenty long enough.

PhilO
    Free Member

I’ve found short lengths of parcel string to work just as well, tbh. The sealant soaks into it and forms a plug.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Are they reliable enough to carry instead of a tube when out on a ride?

AlexSimon

tenacious_doug – Member
    Are they reliable enough to carry instead of a tube when out on a ride?

I still carry a tube.
    You would need something that can fix bigger holes – tyre patches or similar and there’s always the chance that a dinged rim could make tubeless impossible.

Having said that, so far, I’ve had 2 successful repairs out of 2 air leaks so far with the anchovies. I guess it depends on how much you want to gamble on walking home.

nuke

Got to fix a slash in the tread on a Racing Ralph…if the tyre is off the bike anyway, should I just use a tyre patch on the inside or is it still best to use the Weldlite kit (which I have)?

If I use the weldlite kit should I clean/dry the old sealant gunk from around the area?

AlexSimon

if the tyre is off the bike anyway, should I just use a tyre patch on the inside

I probably would use a patch.

If I use the weldlite kit should I clean/dry the old sealant gunk from around the area?

No need, but also no harm.

nuke

Thanks 😀

One more question…if I slash the tyre out on the trail and its not sealing with the sealant, should I let the tyre deflate fully then clean any wet sealant/dirt off then use the anchoive or just crack on jamming the anchovie in the hole straight away?

AlexSimon

I did the latter – riding with 10 other riders getting eaten by midges makes these decisions for you 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

I think the idea is just to squish the anchovie thing in straight away (having reamed the hole).

Sahmurai Sword is a nice plug kit that fits in the bars.

nemesis
    Free Member

Interesting idea on the string, Phil… might pack some in my kit for if/when it happens.

FWIW, I don’t take the tyre off or clean it to fit an anchovy, I just put plenty of the vulcanising solution on and stick the anchovy in.

brassneck

That’s odd, the kit I have (came in a green packet?) doesn’t have any vulcanising solution. Sounds like a good idea, usually have a normal repair kit in my bag anyway, might help.

beano68
    Free Member

Cheers Guys

Used the weltite ones this morn and works a treat ! another essential piece of kit for the backpack 😀

Kryton57

How does the GI one work without vulcanizing fluid? My Weldtite fluid dried up leaving me with the anchovies, I’m wondering if I can use them still…

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/genuine-innovations/tubeless-tyre-repair-kit-ec028981#features

Rubber_Buccaneer

Those things are very sticky. Vulcanizing solution is a bit belt and braces I recon (based on using them)

Rubber_Buccaneer

BTW the GI ones are much smaller than the Weldtite ones.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I use the GI ones – no solution involved.

Cut them in half as they are too long really out of the packet

Used them a fair few times – both with me and giving them to other people out on the trail. I’ve only had one occasion so far when the hole was too big and i needed to put a tube in (of course this occasion was when it was snowing)

having said that i might try the weldtite kit next time i need some

Kryton57

having said that i might try the weldtite kit next time i need some

Well, I did and found that of course you had to spread the glue about. coat the “plug” and then (because it was opened) the glue dried up and the kit was essentially wasted without the purchase of more glue.

Hence the ask about the GI kit…

brassneck

GI that was it. Works just with the anchovy,pop it through the split, pull back and disengage the puller. Works reasonably well, but I think it needs a bit of sealant still sloshing about to be proper.

Anything where I’ve lost the sealant, or it’s dried up due to my stupidity, has involved a tube anyway for me, but it’s increasingly rare now.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tyre puncture plugs’ is closed to new replies.