Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Tubeless tyre inflators?
  • chestrockwell

Hello all. Having tried and failed to set my Alex Volar/ Maxxis wheels up tubeless with a track pump I’m considering one of the following:

https://www.merlincycles.com/zefal-tubeless-tank-98941.html

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-tubeless-tyre-booster-98945.html

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Do they work with MTB tyres? My old Mavic UST / Pugatorys were simple but the current tyres won’t sit on the rim beads due to the wider rims.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member
    deadkenny
    Free Member

Before splashing out. Bottle of Fairy liquid (other brands are available). Brew up massive mountain of soapsuds. Cover tyre bead area with it, ensuring absolutely no possible holes not covered.

Try track pump again.

It’s been working for me the last dozen times I’ve done it now. I used to try it and fail but think it was just not enough bubbles. Needs to be huge amount.

My old method was CO2 cartridges. Bulk buy online making them relatively cheap. One cart will pop it up easy. Though you then have to deflate and put sealant in after. CO2 + sealant doesn’t mix.

Other thing is I’m finding wider rim wheels much easier to seat tubeless also, plus TR tyres are a bit easier than non TR.

bigblackshed

The Schwalbe one is a re-branded Airshot. Looked one in my LBS today. Out of interest really. It’s a lot of money for what it is. Personally I’d put the extra to it and buy a cheap DIY quality compressor. Lots of air on demand without the pumping of a track pump to charge it.

Although if you’re mechanically minded you can build a fire extinguisher inflator for far less.

Like mine:

EDIT: Actually, the Airshot or Schwalbe one is far lighter than mine. Small and light enough to take out on a big day ride.

chestrockwell

Thanks all. I have about £15 worth of credit at merlin so brings the price down. Looks to be the job.

I would normally have another go with bubbles and track pump but the tyres come up really narrow so there’s a huge gap.

Northwind

Quite like the foot actuation there…

I have a fire extinguisher too. TBH mine is fairly ridiculous, it’s a 27 litre extinguisher so holds a huge amount of air (and takes a lot of effort to charge). But if the tyre doesn’t go on with this then you’re going to have to try semtex or something.

tthew

Nice Mk 7 bigblackshed. I left mine fully liveried as a fire extinguisher, just for the added frisson of danger should anyone ever try to use it to put out a fire. 😆

deadkenny
    Free Member

Anyone tried the lighter fluid method with bike tyres? 😀

Might need the fire extinguisher after though 😉

chestrockwell

Just to update the thread, got the Zefal one and it works a treat. Highly recommended. 😉 😀

Poopscoop

chestrockwell – Member
    Hello all. Having tried and failed to set my Alex Volar/ Maxxis wheels up tubeless with a track pump

Hiya,
    I’ve just set up up some Volar 2.5’s with maxxis minion and DHR11’s oddly!

I made a ghetto inflator with a 2 litre coke bottle….. However, both the tyres go up with a track pump no problem anyway. That’s with the tyres/ rims completely dry.

Not put stan’s fluid in yet as I am bound to change tyres around a bit before I finish the build the wheels are going on. Even without fluid they hold pressure over night so I’m hoping all is fine once sealant added.

BTW, 29″ Volars if that makes any difference!

chestrockwell

Problem I had was that the tyre beads sat miles away from the rim leaving a huge gap. My track pump just blew out of the hole. 29ers here too.

Zefal thing makes it simple though so happy to have it for the future. 8)

Poopscoop

How odd?

This was my first attempt at tubeless and expected a real fight only to find they pumped up straight way. Only preparation I did was inflate them with a tube over night first to “stretch” them or whatever it’s meant to do.

Just had a non tubeless tyre arrive today, Race King, so will see if that goes up as easy when I get the chance. Just out of curiosity! 🙂

Glad you got your tyres sorted in the end anyhow.

chestrockwell

Cheers mate. That will be it as I didn’t try the inner tube trick. Well, I did but I burst it so gave up! 😐

Poopscoop

chestrockwell – Member

Cheers mate. That will be it as I didn’t try the inner tube trick. Well, I did but I burst it so gave up!

Burst it before it before tyre sat on the bead?? 🙁

rob8624
    Free Member

Just get an Airshot, I think you can get them for £45 these days. They work, are reliable, faff free, and safe.

madhouse

Can’t believe no-one’s mentioned the ghetto inflator yet!

I’d been seating mine using fairy liquid and a track pump until one stubborn tyre flatly refused. Spent 15 mins making an inflator and all was well again.

verses

All hail the ghetto inflator!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ghetto-tubeless-inflator-total-cost-9p

I’ve lost count of how many tyres it’s seated perfectly for me. Although I do still expect to one day end up with shards of plastic embedded in my shins…

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve lost count of how many tyres it’s seated perfectly for me. Although I do still expect to one day end up with shards of plastic embedded in my shins…

Funny you should mention that:

(source https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87521.475)

benp1

Joe Blow Booster should be delivered today. I needed a new track pump anyway and was having a problem with one tyre in particular (which has been up tubeless before on the same rim, just not when I was putting it back on)

I’m hoping it makes tubeless a doddle

cjr61

Not as pretty as Bigblackshed’s but functional and satisfying to build!

teamslug
    Free Member

Ouch^. Ive got a fire extinguisher but put some maxxis forekaster’s on crest rims last night with a track pump.

verses

**winces at ransos**

I might nip out and add an extra layer of Duct-tape…

Nobby

I knew I should’ve copyrighted the extinguisher jobbie… no idea so many were around now. 🙂

docgeoffyjones

I might nip out and add an extra layer of Duct-tape…

I use a new bottle every time and i still hate using it.

psycorp
    Free Member

Funnily enough I’ve just made a ghetto tubeless inflator. I’ve enshrouded the pop bottle in duct tape though to hopefully prevent the above.

iainc

I bought the Schwalbe one last week. Did exactly what it was supposed to do so happy enough. Quite expensive for what it is though

madhouse

I’ve enshrouded the pop bottle in duct tape though to hopefully prevent the above.

I think I’ll do the same, mine’s currently naked.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

“I knew I should’ve copyrighted the extinguisher jobbie… no idea so many were around now.”
    Yeah I know Nobby I have had mine for nearly 9 years now, and I nicked the idea off a fellow racer!

I did look into it, to make some and sell, but to do it “right” the cost was a fair bit and as it is pressured it also needed testing/safety cert, so I don’t think the airshot one is to badly priced

chestrockwell

Zefal one I got is ace. Typically though, my track pump then promptly packed in!

sadexpunk

I’ve enshrouded the pop bottle in duct tape though to hopefully prevent the above.

I think I’ll do the same, mine’s currently naked.

stick a towel or blanket or something over it as well for extra safety….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tempted to convert an aluminium sigg bottle…..

bigblackshed

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Tempted to convert an aluminium sigg bottle…..

That’s what Airshot did.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tyre inflators?’ is closed to new replies.