Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tubeless Tire inflation Issue
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member

Hi Im normally ok inflating my tubeless tires. But Im having a real issue with a schwalbe one on a stans alpha 340.

I was wondering if it would be possible to hook it up to another tyre that has aleady been infalted as a kinda compressor ?

robj20
    Free Member

Use a coke bottle. Pump the coke bottle up then release into the tyre.

g5604
    Free Member

Have you tried putting in a tube first? leave it overnight to give the tire shape.

hatter

I doubt that using another tyre will have the ompf to do it, putting tubes in overnight is a good idea but if you have a stubborn tyre and you’re in a hurry than using a CO2 cart to force it to seat is the most fool proof method I’ve found yet.

Valve core out
    Whallop with the CO2 to seat it.
    Inflator off and let the cold CO2.
    Quickly inject sealant in through the valve, then replace valve core.
    Pump up to max pressure and shake about to plug any leaks.

Brutal but effective, it’s my ‘last resort’ if a tyre’s refusing to play ball even with my compressor.

Stevet1
    Free Member

There used to be a double ended valve connector sold to BMX’ers so that if they got a flat whilst out they could patch it up and then inflate by ‘stealing’ air from a nearby car wheel…

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Have you tried putting in a tube first

Yes although I didnt leave it over night, but its hard to get the tube out of a road tire with out pull both sides on the bead.

Coke Bottle

Yes this is what I want probably will have a look for tutorials.

There used to be a double ended valve connector sold to BMX’ers so that if they got a flat whilst out they could patch it up and then inflate by ‘stealing’ air from a nearby car wheel…

this sounds cool !

I doubt that using another tyre will have the ompf to do it,

I was thinking a highly inflated MTB tyre to a road type might be ok.

Cheers for advice.

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

have you got 2 layers of tape installed?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

have you got 2 layers of tape installed?

Yes, I believe so. They came from Charlie the Bike Monger with “2 layers installed”.

However I’ve been having problems and I did install another layer of tape on one wheel (where I think the was only 1 layer). Im not 100% sure which now.

I assume 2 layers is optimal I dont want to go accidently installing 3 layers ?

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

you’ve probably done this already but
    – neat washing-up liquid on the bead
    – valve core out

scu98rkr
    Free Member

yep, like I said I’ve managed to mount quite alot of MTB tyres before.

Mainly Schwalbe on Stans Marathons or 29er Stans Crests.

I’ve also mounted a 2013 25mm schwalbe tyre (cant remember exact version) on this rim before, this is a 28mm schwalbe “ONE” tyre. Supposedly the first “properly” tubeless road tyre.

It really doesnt seem to be hooking up at all.

kayak23

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zws29VmHX4[/video]

Jason
    Free Member

I mounted a tubeless 28mm Schwalbe One tyre onto a Light Bicycle carbon rim yesterday, it went up with just a track pump. The tyre is very tight on rim and I am pretty sure I will need tyre levers to remove.

I do have a coke bottle tubeless inflator in the garage as a backup for hard to seal tyres. Works really well and was very cheap to make.

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

did you get this to work?

I fitted a 23mm One to a Alpha rim last night. Initially couldn’t get it to inflate with a track pump or a ghetto inflator. The air was just leaking all around the valve, i think part of the bead was caught on the rubber part of the valve stem, so i pushed the valve stem through a bit and tried to re-seat the bead so it sat properly on the yellow tape. I then used some easy-fit around the bead and it went straight up with a track pump.

Put 100psi in and it was still up this morning (haven’t added sealant yet).

So you could try checking the bead seating around the valve.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Tire inflation Issue’ is closed to new replies.