Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tubeless tape issue- Easton arc 27
  • tony07
    Free Member

Just suffered a flat when out tonight. Easton arc 27 rims. The rim tape, some blue stuff, had totally started coming away from the rim. Considering the bikes only around a month old, that’s not good.
    Only thing I can think that might of caused it was from giving the bike a bit of a wash in a river and submerging the wheels.
    What’s the best rim tape to be using? Stans? Or something like gorilla tape incase it gets submerged again.

Thanks

coatesy
    Free Member

We had one in the workshop a couple of days back with the same issue, apparently the Stans yellow tape wasn’t too keen on sticking either, so may be something on the rims causing it.I usually wipe them with brake cleaner before sticking tape on.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Two tips, the first is to abrade the surface with some scotchbrite. Tip number two is to use a narrower tape so that it sits fully flat in the well rather than lifting up on the bead lock. My theory is that it stops the tape making a good contact and reduced its ability to stick.

tony07
    Free Member

Cheers, they came built up, so I’ll get them stripped down and cleaned out and try some other tape. Thanks

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m using el-cheaply Superstar tape on mine without issue. They hold air like champs.

I sanded the surface slightly first.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I have the same rims (Easton Heist wheels) and mine came with a brown-coloured tape rather than blue. When de-mounting the tyres after a few months I found the tape had been coming away. Tried re-taping with superstars tape and couldn’t get it to stick very well as these rims have quite a deep centre channel compared to other tubeless rims I’ve used. Eventually bought some 32mm Industry Nine torch tape from just riding along and this stuff went on much better and have not had any problems since.

When it comes to tape widths, your best going with something that is approx. 5mm wider than the internal width of your rims to make sure it covers the full with and a little bit up the side as well, that way when you dismount the tyres it doesn’t pull the edge of the tape up.

Northwind

Are they anodised rims? Tape never sticks to those as well.

I;’d disagree with Davewalsh btw… The thinking on avoiding pulling tape off is sound but ime it’s better to go narrower, especially with modern wider rims. IF you go for a narrower tape that doesn’t go out to the edge, there’s no risk of it being pushed off when you change tyres.

tony07
    Free Member

Not sure if they’re anodised. Just bunged the tube in and sent her on home. Didn’t pay much attention to it was pissed at the time. Will get her sorted over the weekend.

johnnystorm

Wide TESA tape is a decent price on ebay. I hate the mess left behind by gorilla tape.

stevied
    Free Member

Never thought I’d say this but Gorilla tape is brilliant. Had issues with getting Stans to stick to my EX471 rim after the tape came away.
    Bought some 25mm Gorilla tape from Homebase, job’s a good ‘un 🙂

poah
    Free Member

used gorrilla tape on one rim as the tape installed by the factory wasn’t great. no issues since

scruff
    Free Member

Doing it when the tape and rim is warm really helps stickingization.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Another Gorilla tape users here, been great until a recent tyre change has seen pressure drop slightly over a week or so. Can only assume what Northwind mentions above, I’ve damaged the tape with a lever when swapping tyres.

matther01
    Free Member

I used WTB tape from CRC on mine. No issues for 6 months so far.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I’ve found both Gorilla and Stans come unglued at the overlap after time, though the valve keeps it all in place. And I have had Gorilla tape slip on re-fitting a tyre without renewing the tape. Currently experimenting with home-made rim strips made of washable tablecloth vinyl held down with Copydex. Which don’t appear to be doing any worse.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tape issue- Easton arc 27’ is closed to new replies.