Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tubeless Sidewall Repair
  • BenjiM

Just thought I’d post this up as a good solution for repairing tubeless sidewalls in tyres when out on the trail (not the greatest idea if you’re with mates who are waiting mind) Found myself in a similar situation last week, but I was only a couple of miles into the ride and I ripped my Racing Ralph (2nd ride out 🙁 ) and had to use a tube, but this still bulged out of the side wall (2 inch tear) patching with a weldtite kit didn’t work so I’m going to give this method a go and cover it with a piece of inner tube and some super glue. Link below.

http://www.rocksnclocks.com/blog/tech-articles/tubeless-tire-sidewall-repair/

jameso

I’ve fixed 4 small flint cuts (a couple done trailside) with flexible superglue in the cut and a bit of inner tube glued onto the inside, anything bigger and need to stitch it, or preferably patch it with glue and some strong, fine non-stretch cloth on the outside instead of stitching as I think stitches will pull and wear as the tyre flexes?

The issue with the inner tube and glue method is that latex sealant seems to weaken the patch or the bond over time, takes months though so I just check them when replacing the sealant. I think it’s the butyl that’s affected by latex rather than the glue so there’s another reason to find a better patch material – unless any chemistry-types know more?

khani
    Free Member
    messiah
    Free Member

Nice!

Out on a trail last year I ended up doing this two miles in…

Introducing the bit of rag I keep in my backpack wrapped around my tools

Took a few goes to get the position and volume right… dimesion of rag has to match tyre ID.

Bodge survived the 35 mile epic intact.

I patched this successfully with old innertube and vulcanising solution when i got home… still going 6 months later… the stitching is a new one on me and I’m impressed. Don’t use superglue as it’s brittle when dry, use a large pach of innertube and vulcanising solution as it allow flex… you might need a couple of layers of old innertube.

jameso

Superglue powerflex is ok, is doesn’t go brittle. I keep a small tube in my UST fix kit and it’s been useful a couple of times, quick and reliable for holding the cut edges together. Maybe superglue for the cut and vulc fluid for patching the inside is better long term fix in UST tyres.

A thought, cutting up an old tyre for sections of sidewall might make better superglue-on patches.

MadPierre

Bit of plastic toothpaste tube (always in my Camelbak) and a tube gets you out of the crap on trail.

Car mushroom type plug fixes it when you’re at home.

D0NK

have stitched with dental floss (at home) used it for a while but didn’t fully trust the tyre again for proper use out in the wild.
    Have used strips of plastic as an innertube boot (like messiahs example) this stuff OK at low pressure but at full road pressures the edges can burst the innertube

Ducktape for quick and dirty get me home fixes.

njee20
    Free Member

Keep meaning to try this. I’ve got a brand new Rocket Ron that I ripped in a crash after 6 seconds use!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Sidewall Repair’ is closed to new replies.