Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tubeless sealant and C02 Question??
  • Bernaard
    Free Member

Is it true that C02 reacts with Tubeless sealant or is it a urban biking myth.
    Dont have access to a compressor or track pump at the moment, so would it last a few days before reacting??

Ta

br
    Free Member

Never had a problem tbh

Bernaard
    Free Member

Thats the answer I wanted. Cheers

Alejandro
    Free Member

I’ve been told on here that it hardens the latex, so if you’re gonna use it to seal a puncture or inflate the tyre in the first place, soonafter it’s advisable to let the CO2 out (or most of it), and reinflate with plain air. I’ve done that as a just-in-case when getting a puncture out on the trails, but when putting a tyre on a track pump has always done the job for me anyway.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Never had any bother with it here- in fact did this in October, took the tyre off yesterday to rebuild the wheel and loads of Joe’s sealant sloshing around.

Bernaard
    Free Member

It’s just the initial inflation that I want it for really, until I can get to the compressor at work.
    But thats not till mid week

Ewan
    Free Member

I’ve been using it for over a year with stans – never had a problem (or a puncture…. famous last words!)

EDIT: And when i’ve swapped DH tyres on to my rims after 4-5 months there is still loads of sealent sloshing around.

lazybike
    Free Member

I’ve had problems with co2 and stans, the co2 turned the sealant into rubber balls.

If its just for seating the tyre, use the removable cores, and add the sealant after.

Cheezpleez

Yep, I’ve had the rubber ball thing happen to me. Quite impressive actually but it didn’t cause a problem and the tyre stayed inflated. When I use CO2 now I just get the tyre seated and then let most of the air (CO2) out and pump it up with a track pump. Not a problem

Bernaard
    Free Member

I’m using Joe’s sealant so will see how it goes

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I have had the rubber ball thing with wheel milk but never used CO2…

FactoryPhil

I’ve had the same using JRA wheel milk and CO2, only the lump I found was about the size of a half used bar of soap…should have checked sooner when I noticed the iregular spin the wheel had…

jonba
    Free Member

Interesting,

The high CO2 content in the tyre would probably cause the solution to become more acidic than it normally would as the CO2 dissolves/reacts and forms carbonic acid. The acid may speed up any reaction?

Other option is the rapid drop in temperature doing something, although you’d expect a similar thing to happen with an air compressor.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I tried to give a tyre a CO2 blast the other day when it got a hole by the bead.. Didn’t work so I took it off, and there was dry ice floating on top of the sealant and fizzling away!

One thing that DOES make latex polymerise instantly is calcium nitrate solution.. There’s some stuff called Caffelatex Zot which is supposed to help seal up bigger holes. I did some research and I’m going to try making my own. Will report back!

eshershore
    Free Member

had the sealant turn into a “spiky alien ball” after 6 months, following track pump or compressor to inflate the tubeless conversion

also had this after 6 months, with CO2 used for initial inflation on difficult setups (usually baggy Bontrager or Maxxis tires)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless sealant and C02 Question??’ is closed to new replies.