Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tubeless sealant?
  • nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Any suggestions as to good tubeless sealant? I used to use Caffe Latex but found it too liquid and didn’t really achieve that much.

Thanks!

Northwind

Ceffe latex seems to be good at inflating tyres and useless at sealing holes. I’m still just using stans, with a bit of glitter if I’m feeling fabulous.

eshershore
    Free Member

Stan’s for the win. Been using it for years. no issues at all.

have tried other “sealants” and not been impressed.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Cool, thanks. I half-expected some home made suggestions! If Stan’s works, then Stan’s it will be.

eshershore
    Free Member

@nuttysquirrel

I can’t get Stan’s cheap (I work in bike trade) because we don’t deal with their distributor, and can get other “sealants” at trade price from existing distributors.

But still happy to buy Stan’s from other shops as a regular paying customer 😉

timmys

Depends what you are using it for.

Any tyre that needs the sealant to seal up porous side walls I’d go Stans. With proper tubeless UST tyres + a rim designed for tubeless I actually prefer Bontrager Super Juice as it seems to seal punctures just as well and lasts about 5 times longer before drying out.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of Stan’s – I found that it didn’t do a great job at sealing holes etc.

I tend to use JRA Wheel Milk. It’s pretty cheap and seems to plug holes in tyres quickly.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Someone keeps stealing my stans, as everytime I pop a tyre off with Schwalbes, its disappeared. Unlike Michelins that just leave brown skanky water.

brassneck

I’m not a fan of Stan’s – I found that it didn’t do a great job at sealing holes etc.

I tend to use JRA Wheel Milk. It’s pretty cheap and seems to plug holes in tyres quickly.

I found the exact opposite. Tried any number of alternatives but always end up paying for Stans in the end and cursing the money I’ve wasted elsewhere.

zippykona

No one else likes Bonty Juice but me.
    I didn’t know this nail was in my tyre til I heard what I thought was a sealant ball.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Good advice all, thanks. I’ve gone for Stan’s! Hopefully I’ll have a few months of trouble free biking.

garage-dweller

Bit late but I have had success with the slime one which seems to be co2 proof too. It’s also what both my local shops stock.

kerley
    Free Member

Someone keeps stealing my stans, as everytime I pop a tyre off with Schwalbes, its disappeared.

Same person was stealing mine when using Continental Protections. Don’t know what Schwalbes are like but the Continentals were often wet on the outside with greasy damp patches where the sealant was coming out.

When I take my Geax TNT tyres off there seems to be exactly the same amount of sealant in then that I started with (and never see any damp patches either)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just put a tyre on using http://www.joes-no-flats.com/

Always used Stans but have always needed a co2 cartridge to get sorted. Went on straight away with the track pump, dunno if I was just lucky this time.

Dickyboy

When I take my Geax TNT tyres off

hopefully I’ll report the same, when & if I finally get them on 😥

kerley
    Free Member

hopefully I’ll report the same, when & if I finally get them on

That tightness helps when it comes to pumping them up as enough of a seal is made between bead and inner rim the they just inflate the same as a tube would.

The next challenge is getting the bead to fully seat and seeing how hard you can pump your tyres up before they blow up. You do get a really satisfying noise as the snap on.

funkweasel
    Free Member

I think I had Cafe Latex in – it lasted 4 months and as far as I know did a great job.
    I’ve just tried some stans – seems to have filled in some holes ok… but who knows how it’ll be being ridden.
    I hope I don’t need to buy a new tyre. I patched it inside and out to be safe, but the outer patch has a little bubble in it, but it doesn’t offer any resistance when I prod it, or seem to want to get bigger. Can’t hear any air escaping, but I don’t have a big enough bucket to put it in to check with water/bubbles. I was too lazy to fill the bath.

Totally removed the tyre from the wheel ( to check it hadn’t been buckled ), E1700 rims are awesome – cheers mr pinnick! Not entirely convinced I’ve got the tyre properly seated on the rim/bead… there’s a slight wobble going on when it’s spinning…. not sure if that was there before, but just noticeable if you look closely. It’s not there if you just look at the rim on its own.

Airshot was a good buy, though. I’ll see how I get on then have another go if necessary.

benpinnick

You’re welcome funkweasel – yeah we use Caffe latex. Ive been using it for a few years now no complaints / punctures that didn’t seal where they would be reasonably expected to. Lots of people swear by it, lots hate it and say its useless. Bit like putting marmite in your tyres in that regard.

trout
    Free Member

Home brewed for me as in the carpet trade so get the latex trade
    1 part latex ( copydex )
    1 part water
    1 part antifreeze

works a treat
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L94EwIP-LPA[/video]

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No one else likes Bonty Juice but me.

I do. It works perfectly, like nearly every Bontrager product I’ve ever used.

teamslug
    Free Member

I make a ghetto mix. Hobby craft latex and windscreen washer fluid with a bit play pit sand or cheap glitter in. I don’t use antifreeze unless you can hold of the old style stuff. 50:50 works well and lasts ages. You can adjust thickness accordingly.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless sealant?’ is closed to new replies.