Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Tubeless road tyres; has the forum an opinion yet?
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I have a set of Ultegra wheels sitting around not being used, (last year’s CX pit wheels), so I’m thinking about using them to commute on, however they need new tyres.

Being tubeless ready I was thinking that maybe I’d try it out. So does the forum have a unified opinion on which, if any, work.

Houns

Tick

STATO
    Free Member

Tubeless on road requires proper road-tubeless tyres, normal tyres fail explosively due to the pressure. Not much choice in tyres tho.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m really keen on the idea myself. However, I’m using 19mm rims so I’m waiting for the much promised Hutchinson 28mm Intensive Road Tubeless tyre.

iamtheresurrection

Hutchinson Fusion on Dura Ace tubeless wheels were trouble free for three or four years. No punctures and a really nice ride.

Second ride last night on Conti GP4000S, puncture after 6 miles. I have no idea why I went back to normal tubes clinchers. 🙁

crazybaboon

I’ve used Hutchinson Fusion 2 and 3 and Intensives for the last couple of years on Ultegra and Ksyrium SL wheels.
    Only problem I’ve ever hand is when I cut a Fusion 3 on the sidewall just above the bead and the sealent didn’t fix it, but it did patch up and hold air.
    I’ve completed the 160mile Flanders sportive with lots of cobbles on a pair of Intensives, and the Dragon Ride yesterday with a Fusion 3 front and Intensive rear, no problems at all.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Right, so that’s two thumbs up for Hutchinson and a “no” for the ghetto route.

Are the Schwalbe ones available yet?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m a tubeless user. Currently on 25mm Bonty R3 which are excellent, although they wear faster than the Fusions. Had a glass flint go through on Sat actually, sealant caught it and after a re-inflate was good to go. Impressed.

sefton
    Free Member
    Mister-P
    Free Member

I have just put a set of Shimano RS61 wheels on my Equilbrium which are tubeless. Looks like a set of Hutchinsons need to be on my shopping list. Ghettoing tyres running at 100psi sounds like a bad idea to me.

orangeboy
    Free Member

You should be able to get ultraremo in tubeless very soon if not right now
    But I’m still waiting for my wheels so not tried them

Janesy
    Free Member

Ultremo ZX are already available from Germany.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Opps slight error in my post , had a rep in just this week flogging them for delivery in very near future

cynic-al
    Free Member

iuse them, I like them, they do feel tub-like, may be psychological tho.

Fusions here and some BNT 25mms for when thy die.

nickc

I wonder what problem tubless road is trying to solve?

I really can’t remember when I last had a roadie puncture, must have been thousands of miles ago, and maybe 2-3 years? I don’t need the lower pressure that tubless allows…

Some things that MTB has developed have transposed to roadie quite happily, tubless doesn’t seem like one that springs to mind readily

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I don’t need the lower pressure that tubless allows

Then stick to clinchers. I prefer the extra comfort and grip that lower pressures allow.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve been waiting on the tubeless Ultremos (as above they’re available from bike-discount.de now) so hoping to give it a go shortly. The majority of punctures I get are snakebites from potholes so hopefully they should sort that out. Although I’m a fan of normal Ultremos I must admit I’m slightly concerned about using the first gen tubeless version given Schwalbe’s incompetence when it comes to QC

elliptic
    Free Member

Are the Schwalbe ones available yet?

Got mine sent over from France (xxcycles). Only had a couple of short spins on them so far but no issues. Fitted with no more faff than usual (on Stans rims).

Off to the Pyrenees next week for some proper test rides 🙂

traildog
    Free Member

You are very lucky you don’t get punctures. I am currently running heavy horrible feeling Marathons on my commute because I do get punctures and then that then makes me late for work. A puncture finishes your race, waste of race entry money. 🙁

Ignoring punctures, they will roll quicker, feel smoother and grip the road better. That’s the theory anyway, would love to try and see if it works. Tyres make a big difference to how a road bike feels in my experience.

Cars don’t use tubes and it would make sense since you usually have to through a 50+quid tyre away should you get a puncture.

Garry_Lager

Would love to go tubeless on the commute, use cx bikes generally – but I guess you need a tubeless friendly wheelset? Running a pair of on-one pikey5000s on the pompino and some touring wheels on me tricross, holding up fine so there’s not big motivation to switch wheels. 60 psi though so maybe a homebrewed tubeless affair might be a goer?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Clinchers on wide aero rims are (rather counter intuitively) more aerodynamic than narrower tubs as they present a smoother rim/brake track/tyre surface to the air, whereas a 23mm tub is 23mm and circular regardless of the rim you put it on.

And tubless (should) ride as well if not better than tubs (as tubs are just expensive high TPI/lighweight tyres with latex tubes).

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Some excellent info here guys, thanks.

JAG

Don’t tubeless tyres save the weight of the inner tube?

…and that advantage applies whatever bike you ride 8)

My main reason for sticking with clinchers and tubes, on road or trail, is my perception of reliability with tubeless.

mrmo
    Free Member

Don’t tubeless tyres save the weight of the inner tube?

then add some sealant and your back to square one.

not convinced myself.

As for the aero thing, you can prove anything with numbers. headwind, tailwind, cross wind etc. Then how much disturbance do legs make, does the size of the riders calfs influence the aerodynamics of the rear wheel, etc,etc, etc.

crazybaboon

I was following a rider on Sunday that hit a pothole, he had a double puncture and a very scary few moments, I hit the same hole with no issues at all, and I’m considerably heavier than him!
    The tyres feel fast and comfy, certainly no slower than other tyres I use (ultremos and continue 4000s)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As for the aero thing, you can prove anything with numbers. headwind, tailwind, cross wind etc. Then how much disturbance do legs make, does the size of the riders calfs influence the aerodynamics of the rear wheel, etc,etc, etc.

Ok, put it another way, what advantages to tubes have over tubeless?

ollie51
    Free Member

I took my tyre off to check the sealant levels a few days ago. I removed 3 thorns, one piece of flint and two bits of glass. I’d say that makes them worthwhile. (Hutchison Fusions on Stans Alpha for me)

mrmo
    Free Member

Ok, put it another way, what advantages to tubes have over tubeless?

far wider choice of tyres, ability to swap tyres as and when easy and relatively clean to repair punctures/sidewall tears etc.

As for the puncture thing, one puncture in the last 4000miles, and that was a large nail. And hit a pothole large enough to render the rim unusable but no puncture.

DrP

What about tubeless CX tyres?
    CAn they be ‘ghetto’d’?

DrP

CaptainSlow

@Garry

This: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/gear/128654/1/stan-s-notubes-700c-tubeless-system.html

I havent used it on the road yet (only got my bike yesterday but will be converting the non-tubless wheels soon). From experience on MTB, I’ve found Stans to be the best sealant.

Dont be one of these numpties that on their first puncture gives up. If you’ve got enough sealant it will seal. If you haven’t and the hole is big but not too big, repair with one of these and bimble home or continue your ride (MTB):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7971

If that fails and you have to use a tube then be prepared to faff and remember to check the tyre to remove the dozen or more thorns in the tyre you never new were there!

Also – remember to check sealant levels periodically and top up if you notice any on your frame as you’ve had a puncture but not had to stop.

I’d also recommend getting yourself some C02 from http://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=284

I use these with my inflator chuck thingy http://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=256&category=303

And if you want some cheap tubeless tyres to give it a try on, go for these:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_918603_langId_-1_categoryId_242553

If you find tubeless traumatic, it is more likely than not, you are doing it wrong. Google for how to vids. The notubes site is excellent 😉

HTH and have fun

cynic-al
    Free Member

The aero advantage is probably real but definitely insignificant.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

you can prove anything with numbers

Indeed you can. A genuine test would take everything into consideration that you’ve mentioned.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ll be doing it 95% for the puncture protection (even though I rarely suffer punctures they’re hassle when they happen), the other 5% benefit comes from reduced rolling resistance (no tube friction) and being able to run lower pressures (more comfort).
    Is it worth blowing £500 for a new set of wheels & tyres? Not IMO but many rims are already suitable and I need new wheels anyhow so makes sense to get tubeless ones and fork out the £100 on tyres.

Garry_Lager

CaptainSlow – Member

@Garry

This: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/gear/128654/1/stan-s-notubes-700c-tubeless-system.html

I havent used it on the road yet (only got my bike yesterday but will be converting the non-tubless wheels soon). From experience on MTB, I’ve found Stans to be the best sealant.

Dont be one of these numpties that on their first puncture gives up. If you’ve got enough sealant it will seal. If you haven’t and the hole is big but not too big, repair with one of these and bimble home or continue your ride (MTB):Thanks for the info CptnSlow. I’ll give this a go at next tyre change time.

iamtheresurrection

Just went to get the bike out of the garage for a quick hour. Flat front tyre, two punctures in seven rides back on GP4000Ss (quite unlucky, I accept).

Taking a mountain bike out instead, will order more Fusions when I get home.

smell_it
    Free Member

I’ve been using a set of ultegra wheels now on it’s third set of hutchinson’s on my main training bike. I’ve had no issues at all with them, one tyre was killed by a chunk of glass but this would have killed any tyre. My trainer is also my roadtrip bike, and has done sub zero work in Norway and blazing hot mountains across Europe.
    I don’t think I’m getting the most out of tubeless as i still run 23mm tyres and run them hard, as that’s how i like them. I still run clinchers on my dura ace race wheels, which i guess i could convert but haven’t really felt the need, i can only think of 2 flats in the time i’ve had the tubless wheels running, and neither were whilst racing. So whilst i have nothing but good things to say about road tubeless ime, they haven’t really changed my world.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d also recommend getting yourself some C02 from http://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=284

Don’t use CO2, found out the hard way that it for want of a better analogy ‘curdles’ stans sealent, all the latex solidifies out of the solution.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless road tyres; has the forum an opinion yet?’ is closed to new replies.