Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tubeless rims?
  • creedy
    Free Member

Looking for a bit of direction. Currently running dt Swiss dl420 rims with tubes, on my 2011 stumpy elite fsa. Looking for a wider tubeless rim. Am planning some big rides this year and want to go tubeless. Tyres are 2bliss ready. Also if I get new rims how easy is it to change them or how much for a lbs to change them over for me. A lot of questions I know but sure I’m asking the right people :). Cheers in advance

grum
    Free Member

Hope Hoops with Stans Flow is the default answer. Unlikely to be worth getting the rims changed over I would say.

mboy
    Free Member

Merlin Cycles currently have the Stans 355 and Olympic models at half price as they’re old stock. These are great rims. If you wanted the newer versions they are the Crest and the Alpine.

Your wheels will probably need new spokes, so factor this cost in too.

As for how easy is wheel building. Well it’s not rocket science, but it is one of those things that the more you do it, the better you become. I’ve built hundreds, and am a confident wheel builder. First few I built I always got someone else experienced to check them over before I rode on them. If you’re not happy doing it, likelihood is your LBS has a decent wheel builder working there (if you’re local to Worcester come and see me I’ll do it for you) who will do them for a reasonable cost.

Other thing to consider though is are the hubs worth keeping? Might you be better off buying a new off the shelf wheelset and selling your current wheels to help pay for it. My experience of Specialized is that they usually fit cheap hubs to otherwise high spec bikes as a cost cutting measure, so may be worth buying a complete wheelset and selling the current one on or using them as spares.

coatesy
    Free Member

Usually charge up to £35 plus parts to swap a rim, depending on if it needs to have the spokes changed.

creedy
    Free Member

Cheers so far :). Mboy, that is what I was thinking. Was just thinking cheapest option as I’ve spent a small fortune recently. Damn you sales!! I could keep them and run a narrower xc tyre for summer trails and also have LtB off road in sept that’ll run lighter!

mboy
    Free Member

This your bike…?

If so, then definitely don’t bother swapping the rims over. Firstly, those Specialized hubs are notoriously rubbish and short lived. Also, the front is only a 28H hub which is a bit more difficult to find replacement rims for.

gee
    Free Member

New Halo Vapour are good – have a set of the 650b versions. Very easy to build up and went tubeless as easily as my Stans rims. The Vapours come in lots of pretty colours too.

scaredypants

then definitely don’t bother swapping the rims over. Firstly, those Specialized hubs are notoriously rubbish and short lived. Also, the front is only a 28H hub which is a bit more difficult to find replacement rims for

which brings us back to D’oh !
    buy some new complete weelz

mainmonkeyking
    Free Member

I’ve had great use out of my mavic 819s. Very tough rims. Not ridden Stans Foows but I have friends that swear by them. You can always fit a dt Swiss tubeless rim strip to your 420s, that would be your cheapest option. I’ve had dt Swiss 4.2s but found them too soft for life on the back of my bike (big dings) – which made me move to 819s.

I’ve also got a set of crossmax sx wheels on my main bike and they are very impressive. Light, tough, quite wide, not usually cheap but I got my 2009 editions in perfect condition for £117 on eBay. There again I’ve bought duff flows on this site before and had to send them back. Used wheels are a bit of a risk I guess…

creedy
    Free Member

Mboy. Yes that’s my bike. Yeah noticed the 28 front! Think new complete set way to go. My bro has recommended the superstar builds. Got a deal on £200 for complete set. Thoughts?

Northwind

What do you actually do with it? Stans Flows are great- tough enough that I’ve got mine on my dh bike, light enough for all day xc- but they’re still overkill for most jobs. Stumpy’s such a versatile bike that it could wear a set of Flows with pride but at the same time Crests could well be up to the job and considerably lighter.

Superstar builds are unbeatable value, their build quality’s been flaky in the past and you don’t really want to have to depend on their legendary customer service but still, at the price you can’t go too far wrong. If I had £200 to spend I’d most likely be shopping there.

creedy
    Free Member

I do all sorts. A lot of tech descents and climbs. Good drops and a bit of air. Doing 7 Staines in April. Will be doing Aston hills more this year. But learnt to ride at swinley. So do a lot of black. Mainly cos I’m following my brother :). I have a xc bike for the light stuff ( which I’ve done most of swinley on and made me get into mtb). Planning trip to alps next year as friends in Switzerland. So basically I’m trying to get bike to as much as a do all or cope with all bike. Also want to do some enduro next year. After I’ve stop play rugby and I don’t need any operations on my knees. Ha ha

creedy
    Free Member

Not xc but cx!

davewalsh
    Free Member

So, you’re looking for a wider rim for tubeless ready tyres, do good drops and a bit of air and lots of black with aspirations of enduro next year.

Sounds like you want Flow EX’s. Hope hoops if you can afford them, superstar if you can’t.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2011 SJ, the 420sl can be run tubeless with just the spesh 2bliss tyres and rim tape (mine were ready taped with blue tape). However the 420sl wheels are well… crap. I had free hub problems within a few rides and after a few more rides bent both rims.

I replaced them with Hope hoops on Stans flow rims – the wheels are strong and you can get front hub adapters to continue using the RWS skewer.

emanuel
    Free Member

WTbikes i23s,or the smaller ones if you’re running smalle tyres.but I’d get the wider ones.
    or might try pacenti.no experience.never even seen them.
    built with both stans and wtb rims and prefer wtb.
    plus they’re half the price.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless rims?’ is closed to new replies.