Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless rim tape widths.
  • ThePinkster

My current tubeless converted rims use 21mm tubeless rim tape and it fits perfectly.

I’m in the process of replacing these rims with something a bit wider, with an internal width of 23mm.

As I have quite a lot of the 21mm tape left will I be OK to use it on the new rims or must I use a wider tape?

Cheers.

ThePinkster

Bumped up for the daytime crew.

Any ideas, folks?

DiscJockey
    Free Member

If you’re talking about the sticky backed rim tape, then as long as it covers the spoke eyelet holes, i.e. seals them, then it’ll be OK.

If you’re talking about the rubber rim strip, then it needs to reach the rim sidewall on either side such that the tyre’s beads sit on top of it.

What model do you have ? Did it not specify a range of sizes, i.e. 18mm – 23mm or something ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ThePinkster

Cheers discJockey.

Yes it’s the very sticky stuff from Superstar that managed to seal my earlier non-tubeless rims really well. it’ll certainly cover the spoke holes.

The new rims are Superstar tubeless Ready EX23’s, going from DT XR4.2D’s which are a little battered and not straight any more.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d give it a go and do two layers – perhaps offsetting them slightly.

BillOddie

Get Gorilla tape and cut/tear to correct width. Works brilliantly!

ThePinkster

Get Gorilla tape and cut/tear to correct width. Works brilliantly!

If I’m going to spend that sort of money I may as well buy the correct width tape from Superstar and do it properly, cheers. 😉

Thought about 2 layers but it doesn’t stick to itself very well, only the rim.

Think I’ll give it a go with the one I’ve got now – it’s no great loss if it doesn’t work.

Thanks folks.

chakaping
    Free Member

Funny, I used two layers of the SS tape in the correct width for my rim and it sticks to itself no problem.

ThePinkster

OK cheers – don’t understand how it comes off the roll with no problem if it sticks to itself so well, but hey ho, I’ll give it a go anyway if I need to thanks.

Need to get the wheels built up first anyway.

Cheers.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure the rim tape is strong enough when applied in a single layer, so doubling up won’t achieve anything. If you’re doubling up to increase width, then as you’ve correctly pointed out Pinkster, you’re just creating another place where air will escape. Not worth it.

And are the spoke eyelet holes actually larger comparing your new rims to the old ones ? Possibly not, in which case the existing tape is fine.

Make sure you clean the new rims with isopropyl alcohol and the rim tape will stick nicely.

chakaping
    Free Member

Doubling up creates a better seal in my experience.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless rim tape widths.’ is closed to new replies.