Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tubeless Rim Tape – wide.
  • bodgy
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up my new Pine Mountain 1 (Very bloody lovely, too!) and want to go tubeless.

Any top tips for rim tape that will fit the 40mm (internal) rims?

Cheers! ;o)

Northwind

I say, don’t worry about it- if it’s a tubeless ready rim, the tape is only there to seal the holes, it doesn’t have to reach the edge.

Ironically, the worst thing is tape that’s slightly narrower- this leaves the tyre sat on teh metal (which is fine) but the tape raised up so that when you remove a tyre, it’s fairly likely to damage the tape. If you’re going narrower, then it’s best to only tape the well of the rim ime so that when you push the tyre off to change it, it’s not getting dragged over the tape edge under tension.

hatter

DT Swiss do a 42 mm rim tape designed for their own 40mm internal XM 551’s.

The SC Syndicate mechanics were using it at Fort Bill so it can’t be that bad

bodgy
    Free Member

Thanks for that – yeah, it’s tubeless ready but hadn’t occurred to me that it might be pre-taped! Doh!

Bit new to all the modern tech – haven’t owned a mountain bike for about ten years!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

For my 40mm Syntace rims, I just ran three passes of 25mm TESA tape (same stuff as Stans) around it. One pass tight to each sidewall and a third around the well of the rim.
    What Northwind said too, avoid having an edge where the tyre bead will be dragged over it repeatedly under tension.

benpinnick

Anything over 30 generally works fine with a strip of 25mm round the middle and nothing else.

Olly
    Free Member

Gorilla tape. Start it off at the width you want and it should stay consistent as you rip it off

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I found Gorilla tape permeable over time ( specifically the adhesive where it’s exposed at the edges of the tape) and a total nightmare to clear off.

I’ve never had trouble with Stans/tesa tape, and it’s much easier to live with long term and clean as required. I even managed to reuse a 1 year old 3x wrap yesterday.

akira

Wtb do some wide stuff, crc usually have it.

dovebiker

Gorilla Clear Repair Tape from most DIY stores – impermeable unlike the regular Gorilla stuff

bodgy
    Free Member

Got everything sorted, spent the obligatory couple of hours sweating over a pump. Gave up. Found adapter eventually. Went to garage and paid 50p for some air. Snapped the valve. Gonna buy an Airshot. Dammit.

STATO
    Free Member

For slightly loose tyres ive started applying stans with an old paint brush on the tyre bead and rim tape, just fold the tyre back and wet both with some stans. It helps the tyre go up a whole lot easier than when its dry or even with soap suds, I think the stans stays ‘wet’ longer.

For very loose tyres I revert to rubber rim strips. Most tubeless compatible rims don’t have a deep centre rim well so if the tyre is very slack there its almost too slack anyway, so I want the extra security of the thick rim strip. For slightly slack a 2nd or 3rd strip of yellow tape is usually more than enough.

When its not going right first time and the swearing starts I keep thinking I should get an airshot, but id rather put the effort in making sure the setup is correct so i can get it seated anywhere.

Northwind

I think one thing with pumps, is that lots of good pumps are low volume and suck for tubeless. My old joe blow was a nice bit of kit but it didn’t shift much air. My blackburn is cheap plasticky crap but it pushes almost as much air as my new joe blow mountain. So it’s easy to think “This is a quality pump, it should be fine” when it’s not really.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

25mm TESA tape

+1
    Its the 4289 version – cheap on ebay

Run a single wrap on my DB-X50 50mm wide rims and its been flawless.
    I use a Bonty Flash Charger pump.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Rim Tape – wide.’ is closed to new replies.