• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tubeless repair with duct tape
  • chrispo
    Free Member

Feeling rather smug after patching a half-inch sidewall tear with gorilla tape and it working fine for a biggish ride.

Presumably I’m not the first to try this, so my question is how long can I expect it to hold?

If it works permanently, it could save me a fortune in tyres…

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Money saved on tyres will be far less than that spent on a new rim/ wheel build when the tyre fails.

jekkyl

I wouldn’t. Imagine it gives way on a fast rocky descent!

dovebiker

Sealant will react with tape adhesive and it’ll come unstuck. Do a proper job with some reinforced tubeless tyre repair patches

chrispo
    Free Member

Surely when it fails it won’t be any worse than when I ripped the tyre in the first place, and most likely it’ll deflate a lot more slowly?

Is glue/sealant reaction a fact? Especially as I’ve read about rim manufacturers recommending Gorilla tape as an alternative to Stan’s rim tape!

50 hard off-road miles and counting…

conkers
    Free Member

Looks like you’re the guinea pig OP.
    I’m interested to know how long and well your repair lasts as wrapping some tape round part of my multi tool or pump is more convinient than a proper patch kit. Of course there is the myriad of other uses duct can be used for so tyre repair is proper bonus.

jabbi
    Free Member

I used duck tape to repair a pinch puncture just above the bead on a Nobby Nic once, it lasted for the life of the tyre, I forgot I’d done it untill the tyre was removed. 😯

RicB

Gorilla tape sticks to the rim because the tyre beads keep it in place. I’d be a bit wary about a duct tape fix stuck to the inside – the sidewall will flex with use and this might allow sealant to contact the duct tape adhesive, which won’t re-stick.

I keep a sewing kit in the garage and put a few threads through any large tear – standard inner tube patch on the inside. Lasts for the lifetime of the tyre.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless repair with duct tape’ is closed to new replies.