• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tubeless repair plugs
  • Is there some knack to threading the plugs on to the needle ?
    I use these ones.

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/tubeless-tire-repair-kit.html

I try pushing the fork of the needle over the centre of the string and the string’s too thick.
    The easiest way I’ve found is to crimp one end of the string with my teeth, then thread it through the needle. It takes a bit of pulling through and scrapes off some of the sticky stuff, so it’s not ideal.

What’s the trick ?

wwaswas

I’ve always found it easier to open the end of the needle up a bit – it releases the anchovy thing a bit more easily once it’s in the tyre too.

Milkie
    Free Member

Dunno what the trick is, but if you work it out, let me know! Luckily I hadn’t cut my nails, so it was slightly easier, but still a pain, worse than threading a needle.

I tried fixing a puncture and it still pissed out with air n latex.

Yeah,I did wonder if opening up the needle would do it, I might give that a go.
    I’ve had two punctures this week, probably because the latex has dried up inside the tyres. Plugs stopped both of them.
    I’ve had a bigger hole in a tyre once and ended up putting three plugs in the one hole.
    I find they work brilliantly.

D0NK

Not used that one, have used panaracer kit, very fiddly, I don’t cut my thumb and index finger nails too short just for these and similar tricky feats 🙂

Marge
    Free Member

Do these work well with cycle tyres?
    I have never tried them other than on motorcycle or car tyres. In that environment they are really effective but I assumed (obviously wrongly) they would not work so well on something quite so flexy as a cycle tyre.

chakaping
    Free Member

I had the Rema kit and couldn’t get it to work, instructions were dire.

Anyone successfully stuck a permanent “boot” inside a holed UST tyre instead?

TrevorB

I use the Rema patches. Tube in on the trail, proper repair in the workshop.
    I gave up on the push in types. Too fiddly and not reliable IMO.
    Shop around for the Rema’s the price’s vary wildly.

Marge, I’ve used tubeless plugs on plant tyres and they were a sort of bow tie shape made out of flat rubber. I take it the car and motorbike ones are the same ?
    The mountain bike ones are a length of sticky string.
    The principle’s the same, you wedge the middle in the tool, poke it in the hole, then pull the tool back out, leaving a double thickness of plug in the tyre.

uplink
    Free Member

TBH, I found the bicycle specific one too fiddly so I used a motorbike one [that I already had] last time

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/74251

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Daft question, could you/ do people repair tubeless tyres with a ‘normal’ repair patch? Logic says it should work?

doug_basqueMTB.com

I roll the end between my fingers and it goes through no bother (ish!). They work great, for bigger holes you can pull the loop back through to make a W shape instead of a V, and then cut it. Don’t work so well if they’re v. near the bead.

Yeah you can patch the inside, infact if you’ve got a bigger rip then I think that the string is best removed and a proper patch put on when you get a chance. I just clean the inside of the tyre, rough up a lot and put in on there. Sometimes it sticks fine once I’ve had a problem and superglued a bit of inner tube over the hole, worked great.

chakaping
    Free Member

superglued a bit of inner tube over the hole

Just what I was thinking – tube patch or bit of inner tube on inside and superglue a bit in the hole as well if still visible afterwards.

Looking forward to experimenting now.

cheers guys

ilovemygears
    Free Member

i always use a normal tube patch, works really good

twotonpredator
    D0NK

I’ve had mixed results with all. Sealant, patches and plugs. sometimes work and continue working for lots more rides, sometimes don’t, sometimes a combination of patch or plug plus sealant work sometimes not. Annoying. UST tyres are good and strong, stay up better than tubes, less faff to setup than ghetto/rimstrip/sealant – but they will rip/tear eventually and then the fun starts. On the shoulder of the tyre and next to the tyre bead are most tricky to fix.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless repair plugs’ is closed to new replies.