Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tubeless reliability question. StrathPuffer planning.
  • epicyclo

Has anyone had a blowout or fast puncture with a tubeless setup?

If you get a slow leak, how far were you able to ride it?

I'm considering going tubeless. I'm been convinced of its superior puncture protection for a while, but I haven't bothered because I rarely get punctures, and the weight saving seemed minimal.

But then I realised that I am carrying around a fair bit of weight for puncture repair – pump, tube, patches, spanners etc. If I can ditch that it would be cheaper than getting unobtanium bits for the bike.

I'm doing the StrathPuffer solo, and if I don't have to cart that lot up a few hundred metres each lap, it will make a huge difference. Save me having to go light on the Xmas pudding too 🙂

A lap of the 'Puffer is about 11km, so if in the unlikely event I get a problem that's how far it would be to repair facilities. My hands would likely to be too numb to do a tubeless repair beside the track.

(BTW ditching the Xmas pud is not an option, us athletes have to look after our nutrition)

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Two years of tubeless and I'm convinced and that's what I'll be using in the Puffer (not solo though!)

Only had one actual blowout and it was riding uphill in the Transalp. Delaminated tyre was the cause, probably due to a reaction with the sealant but that's a long slow process.

I get the occasional puncture usually due to lack of finesse over cross drains (torn the bead on two Bonty tyres) but I don't think there's anything on the Puffer course where you'd be hammering wheels into rocks. Pretty much gives you immunity to thorn-type punctures IME

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have seen them blow out a couple of times – tyre rolled off the rim and the air and sealant came out – able to be pumped up again at the trailside.

I shall be sticking with my luddite tubes for the puffer – 'cos I know them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GlenMore
    Free Member

Ride tubeless and carry a tube for quick repairs?

awh
    Free Member

I ran tubeless Mud X last autumn/winter and I was amazed at the number of thorns I found in them when they came off at in the spring. I had no idea! They did leak very slowly, a couple of psi over a week, not sure if it was due to the thorns or the seal with the rim. I've ridden them at a low pressure (~25psi) fast over the rocks round Afan/Cwmcarn and not had any problems.

vinnyeh

I''ve had two blowouts, both ripped sidewalls, one instantaneous and noisy, one deflating over a few seconds.
    I don't think there's going to be a fix for those in the conditions you're talking about, other than a new tyre.
    In the few other deflations I've had, a CO2 cylinder sorts things out pdq.

Not knowing the course, but I'd be trusting to tubeless to keep me going rather than tubes, ymmv.

epicyclo

Thanks for the info

Looks like ripped sidewalls or delaminations are the big stoppers. They'd stuff me even if the bike was tubed so I'd be walking anyway.

Glen More – Member
    Ride tubeless and carry a tube for quick repairs?

Trying to avoid carrying anything 🙂

One more question – pump or CO2?

schmiken

Always carry a tube, just in case! CO2 definitely though, especially if you blow a tyre off.

stratobiker
    Free Member

I started running proper UST tyres and sealant (Hutchinson Piranhas) a couple of years ago. They have been superb, and i've rattled/raced them over some tough terrain. I've become so confident with then that I don't carry any repair kit for racing. The slightly thicker sidewalls of the Hutchinson Tubeless Light (as opposed to the lighter Tubeless Ready) are slightly heavier, but well worth the weight penalty for the punctureproofness!

Pump or CO2? Neither.

SB

trail_rat
    Free Member

i run stans rims with any tires i want

If your gonna do tubeless then dont fanny around with ghetto or rim strips just get the right rims.

I tried ghetto , i tried rim strips and kept rolling tires off the rim – even with UST tires … and seating was a royal pain in arse

been running stans 355s since the selkirk merida with a rocket ron up front and a Small block 8 out back inc a solo 16 laps at relentless

the real question for you should be "are continental claws tubeless compatible"

I have a pump mounted on my frame and a CO2 can in my back pocket – nearly ruined my race at puffer lite by flatting then having my co2 can go up in my face when replacing tube.

Lucky John Mccallum sorted me out with a co2 can and my team mate didnt kill me as i was only 2 mins slower than without the puncture !

bedmaker

I've ridden the puffer course approximately a gazillion times on tubeless over the last few years Brian. Only puncture Ive had was a ripped sidewall on a Racing ralph on the loose rocky bit before you come to the log ride thingy.
    I've also ripped RR's by looking at them the wrong way, stroking them with a newborn kitten and breathing too hard close to them.

Just so happens Ive got a Surly SS disc/Stans Arch wheel which I could do with selling if you're interested.

Smee
    Free Member

Sliced a tyre at relentless, then put a tube in to get back to the finish.

Eldrik
    Free Member

I've also ripped RR's by looking at them the wrong way, stroking them with a newborn kitten and breathing too hard close to them.

Hahaha! Love it….

epicyclo

bedmaker – Member
    …Just so happens Ive got a Surly SS disc/Stans Arch wheel which I could do with selling if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer, but I've got a set of ZTR355s I'm building onto some AM hubs.

br
    Free Member

Use sealant (50ml per tyre), and carry co2.

Although when not racing, I usually also carry a tube and patches etc.

Nobby Nic's run well tubeless, and are reasonably quick rolling at 30psi.

trail_rat
    Free Member

had a thought though – what happens to sealant at negative temperatures ?

scruff
    Free Member

Doesnt seal as well in cold IMO. Only time I had a problem was in Lakes at very sub zero, it sealed after 2 bouts of pumping.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i thought that might be the case – i also thought it might solidify in the tire – either conventionally or through freezing – what is the freezing point of liquid latex solution ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless reliability question. StrathPuffer planning.’ is closed to new replies.