Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • tubeless ready question
  • hambl90
    Free Member

Just ordered a 2015 cannondale jekyll 4 and the spec states it’s tubeless ready, does this mean I only need the valves and sealant to go tubeless or is there anything else needed ? 

Cheers

Suggsey
    Free Member

Valve/tape/sealant. Just normally mans tyres are Tubeless compatible. Some manufacturers throw in the stuff but a rarity…..maybe you could try sweet talking the shop into doing it for cost…saves you any hassle.

hambl90
    Free Member

Too late to get the shop to do it it’s on its way to me . I’ll have to check when it arrives.

Thanks

vincienup
    Free Member

As above. Tape, valves, sealant. Tape can be had very cheap in huge rolls on eBay or expensive is small rolls with Mr Stans’ moniker. Some prefer 25mm gorilla tape (about £2.50 from large DIY stores/screwfix etc) . Wipe the rim bed down with a clean rag and isopropyl first. A bad tape job gives leaks around the spoke nipples and a nightmare job to seat. You’ll probably want access to a good, high volume track pump too. Compressors should be a ladt resort rather than First tool out of the box…

hambl90
    Free Member

Bike arrived tonight as I was leaving for a night shift,tubeless valves supplied so I’m assuming I only need the sealant as tyres and wheels are tubeless ready .

cp

I would imagine you also need to get tape. It’s not the same stuff as ‘rim tape’ which traditionally comes on wheels.

Suggsey
    Free Member

If they’re UST rims then no tape required just screw in valves, mount tyre, put in scoop of sealant and add air and do the tyre shake dance.

hambl90
    Free Member

Thanks guys will check the tape when I get a chance.

easygirl

Didn’t need any tape on my Jekyll 2 , screwed in the valves and away I went

vincienup
    Free Member

Note that UST and TLR/tubeless ready rims are not the same. If there’s rim tape and you can see spoke holes in the rim bed, it’s not UST and will need gaslight tape to seal, which is not the same as a regular rimstrip.

True UST is very rare.

For reasons known to themselves but probably faf, cost and lawyers, almost no bike with tubeless ready wheels is set up tubeless as delivered.

cp

For reasons known to themselves but probably faf, cost and lawyers

… And the sealant would dry out

vincienup
    Free Member

That too 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘tubeless ready question’ is closed to new replies.