Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tubeless Random Flats
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

I did a tubeless conversion on my Meta 5 wheels a few weeks ago and have been getting the tyre go down seemingly of their own accord. They never go down while being ridden, but if I leave it for a few days after getting back from a ride one of the tyres always seems to be completely empty. Is this common with tubeless or is it me doing something plain stupid?

spooky_b329

Unless they are UST, you need to use sealant, and hold the wheel at 3 and 9 O’clock and waggle it back and forth, rotating the wheel a little and repeating to get the sealant to coat the side walls and rim bed. Just riding them will not normally distribute the sealant enough.

After sloshing the sealant around, you can leave the wheel over a bucket/plant pot to allow the sealant to pool on the sidewall, then flip over for the other side.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Thanks for your response spooky_b329. I did exactly that, stacks of sealant in them both and did exactly what you detailed. I used one of these conversion kits when I did and followed the instructions down to the letter.

spooky_b329

Something must be leaking, stick them in the bath and see if you can find the leaks. But I suspect the problem is the technique you are using to waggle the sealant about (as you have the problem with both wheels)

I can’t find the stans demo video on the shakey thing, anyone?

danielgroves
    Free Member

Ok thanks, will stick em in the bath when I get home and see what happens

Twiggy
    Free Member

Be interested to hear how you get on. Am thinking of buying a conversion kit myself but umming and ahhing due to potential fiddliness and recognition of my own cack-handedness. Let me know the outcome of your bath antics when you get chance.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Ok, finally had a few minutes to do this, and no leaks. They haven’t lost any pressure since the last ride either so I guess that maybe the rim strip just didn’t seat properly or something and hence they were slowly going down. Both are still up since I last rode it a few days ago and they would normally be flat by now, so hopefully all is good.

Twiggy if it helps you decide my wheels were Mavic Crossrides with 2.35 High Rollers on and they feel a lot nicer tubeless, feels like your getting a lot more grip through them and you can tell exactly what under them. Feels amazing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Random Flats’ is closed to new replies.