Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tubeless Question (with dark content)
  • Conespanner

Successfully been riding the MTB tubeless for years, so understand the principles. However I just bought some road wheels that are tubeless compactable but can’t find anybody with tubeless specific tyres in stock (in width and cost). My MTB was successful converted using standard but good quality folding tyres, but can you do the with road bikes. I read a while ago that you had to use the correct road tyres as the pressures were higher and interlocking between the wheel and bead of the tyre was more critical.

Have any of you guys successfully gone road tubeless with standard folding tyres?? Cheers in advance

otsdr
    Free Member

My experience has been mixed – one set of tyres held just fine, the other didn’t. Right now I have a set of TR Schwalbe Ones waiting (should be able to get them from the usual German stores).

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/road-tires-keep-blowing-off-the-rim

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Wouldn’t fancy using normal road tyres for a tubeless set up. Although like yourself I’ve been doing it for years on my mtb without any problems the thought of the tyre blowing off the rim at 40mph downhill on tarmac with a wagon coming the other way kinda puts me off. On the mtb due to the lower pressure it doesn’t happen much (and if it did you’re generally going a lot slower) but when running anywhere between 70-100psi the threat of a non specific tubeless tyre blowing off is quite real I’d imagine.
    Depending on what size tyre your after Merlin have Schwalbe pro ones in stock, 23 and 25 only though :
    https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-pro-one-microskin-tl-easy-folding-road-bike-tyre-89170.html

reggiegasket
    Free Member

as Andy says, don’t use normal clincher tyres. Tubeless only.

Google:
    Schwalbe One, and Pro One. Germans usually have the best deals but Merlin, SJS, Acycles also have them.
    Bontrager R2 and R3 – grippy but wear quite fast.

Conespanner

Thank you for the feedback. I looked a Merlin a couple of weeks ago and they didn’t have 25C’s in stock, but I’ll get on and order some. Schwalbe One is what I was looking for, but not originally the Pro’s

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Another tyre to consider is the IRC. Although I haven’t tried them personally they seem to get very good reviews (every bit as good as the Schwalbe ones apparently) Not cheap mind, they have three versions going up in price but down in weight (ranging from £40 up to £57.)
    Road Tyres

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Question (with dark content)’ is closed to new replies.