Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tubeless question (non user content)
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Been looking at tubeless as an option. What would i need to convert….

Mavic 317 rims

Nobby Nic Evo folding

Been looking at the kits and the ghetto method, has anyone tried the Gorilla tape on the rim instead of the old tube?.

Also when you put the valve in the rim do you take out the little plastic ring in the hole or leave it there?

Is going tubeless worth all the hassle over tubes ?

MarkyG82

I’d say use the tube method if going ghetto. Unless you want to get tubeless ready tyres. If the valves dont fit with the black bits then take em out. As for is it worth it? If you get it to work with not alot of hassle then yes. If you have to faf alot then maybe not as ot may not be as reliable to ride hard.

Just my 2p

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to try the gorilla tape. The Stans kit is just tape and it doesn’t appear to have any magical qualities.

It takes a while to get used to inflating tyres, but it is actually easy when you get the hang of it, even on non tubless tyres using a track pump. (Although I found it a right faff at first)
    Curing puncture anxiety makes it worth it imo.

MarkyG82

Puncture protection wasn’t a major draw for me as a long term slime user. At first I just wanted to give it a try out of curiosity. Before, I had to run at least 40psi to get decent grip. Now i can run 25 ish and have more grip and a smoother ride.

jameso

I ghetto’d some 317s. Worked ‘ok’. Leave the rubber grommit in the valve hole, layer up on the tape until the tyres are a proper bstrd to get on and they should be close to sealing dry, add latex/water or similar mix and go, should go up with a trackpump. Found they’re a pita to remove, but worked ok for 2 winters of riding with Maxxis Lusts, Conti USTs and non-UST alike. The key is using good UST / TLR tyres, std tyres seem to work better with the split-tube method but I couldn’t be aresd with that as a tyre-swapper.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Mavic, Size 26, Model XM 317

NoTubes Rim Strip: Standard
    Product No.: RS0017
    Outside Width:
    Height:
    Inside Width: 17

Notes:
    Remove existing rim tape and tape and install one layer of Stan’s universal yellow tape. For loose fitting tires install rim strip over existing rim tape. Install the rim strip with soapy water to help distribute it evenly around the rim. Stretch the strip at the valve area. Use soapy water on the tire bead to help the bead seat and inflate up to 40psi if necessary. For very tight fitting tires that won’t center properly when inflated to 40psi it may be necessary to use the Olympic rim strip instead of the Standard strip.

——————————
    let me know if you need a hand 😉

JohnnyPanic

Tubeless worth the hassle? Yes imo. Unless you’re a serial tyre swapper. Then no.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless question (non user content)’ is closed to new replies.