Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tubeless question!
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

ok so i bought my santacruz nomad 2015 6 weeks ago and it was already set up tubeless which is ” dare i say it ” new to me.. ive always ran tubes on duel ply tyres and had no problems, so with this being a carbon frame and alot ligher bike i was happy to run tubeless on single ply highrollers as i was told it would be daft to run duel ply on this kind of bike.. So… today i finally got a flat tyre so i pumped it up as told and i saw the sealant coming out the side and on top of the tyre, did it seal… no… it wasent sealing one bit i tired to get the sealant to where the hole was on the tyre and i shook it around and tried everything but just wasent working so i had to put a tube inside it instead :/ why did it not do its job? as i say i know nothing about tubeless but was told by the shop i can just pump it up once the sealant has done its job, what am i doing wrong here guys, ill have to take it into a shop to get it set up again i think :@/ help please!

creamegg
    Free Member

How big was the hole?

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

not that big but what do i do to resolve :/

creamegg
    Free Member

In a few years of tubeless ive only had one incident where the tubeless set up failed to work and that was when a spike punctured the tyre twice. One of the holes was right on the rim / bead which can be hard to get sealant to (especially when air is pissing out of another hole which im simultaneously trying to seal). Some punctures are harder than others to seal depending on type of puncture (thorn, tear, pinchflat) and location of puncture.

If your back home now and wondering how to fix your tyre if the sealant doesn’t work on its own you can use a bit of super glue, glue a patch on the inside, or use a tubeless repair kit eg sticky worms

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

well i had sealant coming out the sidewall near the rim and a hole on top but not a huge hole just big enough for it to seep out, i have no sealent here or anything as i say its all new to me ill prob have to take it into a shop or something for a repair :/

creamegg
    Free Member

If its sealed now just pump it back up. No need to top up sealant unless youve lost loads. Are you really going to make a trip to the lbs just for a puncture? Better to spend the money on the bits you need and sort it yourself imo. The internet and a bit of common sense is all you need

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

its got a tube in at the mo but i might have to take it off and really inspec the tyre and i need some stans sealant that looks like good stuff to use, ill have to possibly patch up where the small hole was leaking out as mensioned above from the inside perhaps before i apply more sealant

sparkerfix

Tubeless repair kit? maybe after sealing the top hole you’ll be able to get enough air in to seal the sidewall?

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

yeh i could try a repair kit perhaps with some decent sealant?

sparkerfix

Worth carrying one anyway. I’ve had to use one several times to good effect.

duckers
    Free Member

I’ve been using fenwicks airtight with better results than stans so far. Tempting a bit with this comment I think!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Sounds like you pinch flatted it. What PSI were you running?

You can still get pinch flats tubeless, I’ve had several 🙁 I’m going to try higher PSI from now on

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i dont really look what psi i run as my pump dosent say i just do it to personal pref, not too hard not to soft, sorta inbetween for allround really ill have to get a repair kit to patch up the inside i rekon and re try

gazman428
    Free Member

I had a nail go through the tread and come out of the sidewall next to the bead. That is the only puncture I’ve not been able to seal at the trail side.
    I got home used superglue and a patch on the sidewall and let the bigger hole seal itself. Then put the tyre on its side so the sealant sealed the glued hole. Ran fine for more than 12 months after that.

I was tempted to give up on tubeless after that, but I’m glad I didn’t. I ride to work and checked the tyres on my work bike – non tubeless tyres and gorilla taped rims and and I had no less than 7 thorns in my tyres!!! 5 in the back, 2 in the front from one week of riding! Stans had sealed the lot!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless question!’ is closed to new replies.