Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tubeless question
  • oldgit
    Free Member

My Gary Fisher came with Bontrager Mustang tubeless ready TLR rims.
    I see I need a kit (new strip and valve) but do I need new tyres? The OE Bontrager Experts don’t have any tubeless markings.
    And do I still use Super Juice? that’s what I had last time I ran tubeless donkeys years ago.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

You could probably run that tyre / rim combination tubeless with a stans no tubes kit and sealer

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Lots of people run that tyre with sealent.

I brought the 2.3TLR tyres for mine,were only £36ea

br
    Free Member

If the tyres are new (or unpunctured) then you’ll be fine, otherwise buy a new pair as they can be a PITA to seal (holed, thorns etc).

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Get the Bonty rim strips that are specific for those wheels and the Bonty valves but whatever you do use Stans sealant and not Bonty Superjuice cos it really is rubbish .

mboy
    Free Member

As far as tyres go, some non tubeless will work fine, some won’t. It can be a bit of a lottery, but I find running proper tubeless ready or UST tyres is much more reliable in the long run.

For the rims, Bonty do their own rimstrips. You can use Stans yellow tape or the like also, but I suspect the Bonty strips are cheaper. A tubeless valve is a tubeless valve, I know people that just cut the presta valves out of old punctured tubes and use those without any worries.

Bonty Super juice was a pretty rubbish sealant. Stans is much better than anything else on the market, and I’ve tried pretty much everything. Main reason that Stans is so much better is it just lasts a whole lot longer without drying out or clumping.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Main reason that Stans is so much better is it just lasts a whole lot longer without drying out or clumping.

The main reason Stans is so much better is because it seals punctures . Plenty of people have made sealant that is not latex based that won’t dry out , indeed Superjuice is one of those but they are not good at sealing holes which after all is why you put the stuff in your tyres in the first place.

timmys

Main reason that Stans is so much better is it just lasts a whole lot longer without drying out or clumping.

Really? I thought latex based sealants went all lumpy and/or dried out a lot quicker than non-latex ones (such as super juice).

FWIW Super Juice has never failed to seal a puncture for me in three years of use. I expect if you are using non-tubeless tyres and need sealant to patch up leaky sidewalls then yes latex-based sealants are going to be better though.

mboy
    Free Member

OK, will rephrase what I said.

Stans is so much better than everything else cos its the only sealant that actually seals punctures well AND it lasts a lot better than all the other latex based sealants.

Glycol based sealants like Super Juice can last ages, but don’t really do a good job of sealing. All other latex based sealants I’ve tried have dried out much quicker than Stans does.

oldgit
    Free Member

Right my tyres are the Bonty Expert XR1’s, mid range. The Team version of the same tyre IS UST.
    Plus the XR1 is a dry/hardpack conditions tyre. So a tyre change soon is probably on the cards now.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Anyone used Caffe Latex?

I’m using something called True Blue which is a generic tyre sealant I bought from a bike shop here in Oz but the instructions say it can be used on all sorts of tyres. Seems a bit thicker than Stan’s goo. Not noticed any punctures yet, which I suppose is a good thing!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Right my tyres are the Bonty Expert XR1’s, mid range. The Team version of the same tyre IS UST.

I suspect you are confusing UST with tubeless ready here .

oldgit
    Free Member

Ah I thought UST meant tubeless specific?

The XR1 Expert is a standard tyre
    The XR1 Team Issue is tubeless.

dantsw13

UST tyres on a UST rim can be run dry with no sealant, as the sidewalls are non-porous, and the bead seats airtight in the rim.

Tubeless ready tyres require sealant.

Many people run UST tyres with sealant for protection from thorn punctures.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless question’ is closed to new replies.