Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tubeless puncture question
  • DaveRambo

All,

Been running tubeless for a little while and while out on the Monkey trail got a puncture. The hole looked bigger than a thorn and you could hear the air and see some fluid coming out.

The Stans fluid didn’t seal it immediately but after several stops to keep topping up with air it seems to have sealed.

My question is ‘How good is the seal likely to be? Should I remove the tyre and patch it?’

Not that keen on risking a long ride and having the seal fail especially as the tyre is a very tight fit and I don’t fancy having to try and fit a tube on the trail. I guess the safe option is to patch but it’s going to be a messy job that I’d like to avoid if possible

Anyone got any similar experiences thoughts?

glenh
    Free Member

The seal will be fine in my opinion / experience.

wwaswas

these things are great – seem to be a good long term solution too. You can get a kit with some more stuff in it like glue and a razor blade – if you cut the little anchovies off short they seem to last for years without needign you to take the tyre off and patch the inside.

rossm
    Free Member

It will continue to leak and then reseal in v small amounts before finally settling down. Leave it alone.

You should always be carrying a spare tube in case you have a complete disaster. If you do have to bung in a tube look v carefully as there will be a number of thorns or the like which have come through the tyre, broken off and been sealed in place – all without you even realising.

+1 for wwaswas on the repair strings. They can help seal a big tear on the trail, saving you the indignity of resorting to a tube.

DaveRambo

Ta all,

So far so good – not lost any more air.

Looks like I need some of these repair strings – the tyre is a very tight fit so I don’t fancy trying to put in a tube on the trail.

aracer
    Free Member

Been running tubeless for a little while and while out on the Monkey trail got a puncture. The hole looked bigger than a thorn and you could hear the air and see some fluid coming out.

Did you hole the puncture towards the bottom to let the fluid get to it – quickest way to get it to seal if it doesn’t seal instantly.

I agree with others about the long term prospects of the seal – I’ve had some which took a while to seal at the time and didn’t cause any problems after.

DaveRambo

I did put the puncture towards the bottom – you could see the fluid bubbling out. I reckon it took 4 stops afterwards to keep topping up with air before it seemed to be OK but we were quite close to the end of the ride by then.

It does seem to have sealed but it still makes me nervous to do a long ride on it. Maybe after a few shorter ones with no issues I’ll feel better about it.

and there was me thinking tubeless means less hassle…

imp999
    Free Member

If you were to take the tyre off & check out the number of thorns in there you would see you have had less hassle.

If you are worried about the puncture, perhaps because it is a cut or tear, then put a patch on the inside when you have a free bit of time.

You can top up your sealant while you are at it as it sounds like you lost some.

Klunk
    Free Member

i’ve found they can go at anytime.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless puncture question’ is closed to new replies.