Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tubeless puncture??
  • adamhood
    Free Member

Just like to start with a hello to all on here, I’m a newbie to the forum 🙂
    Right now to my problem, I’ve just purchased a canyon nerve al 8.0, I love the bike compared to my old heavy mongoose! The canyon is running tubeless wheels, I have took the bike out a few times and have just gone to the shed to find out it has a flat! I don’t know a huge amount about tubeless other than what I’ve seen on YouTube, I’ve checked over the tyre with no visible signs of punctures or tares. I’ve blown it back up and will be checking it in a bit, I just wondered if anyone could give me any advice on the situation? Or about tubeless wheels, do I still take out a pump with me on my rides? How would I fix this out on the xc?
    Cheers
    Adam

superfli
    Free Member

Possbily hasnt sealed completely just yet. Sometimes it can take a few rides for the sealant to fill all the gaps around bead. Take a pump with you on rides. If you get a puncture, the sealant can take a little time to seal the hole, point tyre down and I find rubbing my finger over the hole helps seal it. In any case, you will have lost some air, so need a pump. Big holes can need filling with a tubeless repair kit. Its very quick and straight forward to use – quicker than fixing a tubed tyre.
    Take a tube as well, just incase sealant fails +/or you split the tyre on the sidewall.

pymwymis
    Free Member

Pound to a penny you will find that irrespective of it having tubeless rims, there will be a tube inside. Fitting tubeless ready tyres will be up to you if you want to.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I reckon what pymwymis said.

mogrim

1. Check if it has a tube in it. If it has, remove tube.

2. Run your finger around the inside of the tyre to feel for pointy things: thorns, glass, etc. If you find any remove them. If there’s a big hole you’ll need a tubeless repair kit, so off to LBS or CRC and get one. They’re pretty easy to use. Repair the tyre.

3. Add some sealant, make sure you get some that’s OK with UST tyres, some isn’t and this can lead to the tyre delaminating. Note that if you only have a small (thorn etc.) hole in the tyre you won’t need to repair it (step 2), just add the sealant.

4. Pump the tyre up to about 60psi to ensure the seal is correctly seated. Be prepared for heart-stopping “pop”s as it seals. I like to bounce the wheel+tyre on the ground a few times to ensure it’s fully seated, but it’s probably not necessary.

5. Leave the tyre at 60psi overnight, it should stay up. Let a bit of air out (or all of it: once seated the tyre won’t unseat on its own) til you get down to about 30psi or so.

If it happens out on the trail the easiest solution is to stick a tube in until you get home. You’ll probably need a presta valve inner tube. Obviously check the tyre for pointy bits before you stick the tube in! (Realistically, with sealant in the tyre the chances of getting a puncture are greatly reduced, unless you ride in an area with lots of glass or flint which could slash the tyre…)

CountZero

The Panaracer tubeless flat kit is brilliantly simple to use. I make up my own latex sealant, which generally lasts several months. I’ve only ever had a tyre go flat on a ride, and it was a huge thorn, and I’d let the latex dry out.
    ¼ cup of water
    Tablespoon of liquid latex
    Tablespoon of Slime tyre goo
    Tablespoon of windscreen wash concentrate
    Mix thoroughly, and put into the tyre.
    Inflate
    Ride

Northwind

CountZero – Member

The Panaracer tubeless flat kit is brilliantly simple to use.

Unless it has a tube in it. Which it will have 😉

footflaps

Pound to a penny you will find that irrespective of it having tubeless rims, there will be a tube inside.

I bought a Cannondale Scalpel with Mavic tubeless rims, came tubeless out the box (with no sealant in the tyres).

pymwymis
    Free Member

Hahaaaa, Footflaps you fell into my cunning trap. You have verified my point by identifying the exception which proves the rule !!

adamhood
    Free Member

[pymwymis – Member
    Pound to a penny you will find that irrespective of it having tubeless rims, there will be a tube inside. Fitting tubeless ready tyres will be up to you if you want to.
    ]
    Don’t I feel like an idiot!! 😳 😳
    Just gone back to look and found a flat tyre, so I grabbed the tyre levers pulled the tyre off and found a tube with a hole! Lol
    So even though the wheel set with tyre felt VERY light to me when I took them out the box and attached them to the bike, it has a tube.
    Thanks for all the guidance,
    so on that note, would anyone recommend tubeless setup? As my rims and tyres are tubeless ready. From what I’ve seen I like the idea but not sure about the cost / maintenance ??
    😕

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t I feel like an idiot!!

I’ve known experienced cyclists to have been caught out/confused with the “tubeless ready” reference – it’s a fairly recent development and if someone hasn’t bought a new bike for a while are likely to be caught out/confused.

As for recommendation I’ve always been happy with Stans No Tube – never had a puncture, at least not one that didn’t seal. I’ve had a couple of sidewall damage which didn’t initially seal but eventually did after the bike was laid on its side and the wheel slowly spun. At least enough to get me home. I’ve never needed to use a spare inner tube.

CountZero

Unless it has a tube in it. Which it will have

Which it did. Doesn’t get away from the fact that the Panaracer Tubeless Flat kit is a doddle to use, if it’s a tubeless tyre.

so on that note, would anyone recommend tubeless setup? As my rims and tyres are tubeless ready. From what I’ve seen I like the idea but not sure about the cost / maintenance ??

Been using them for ten years. No way would I go back. If your valves have removable cores, which they should have, maintenance is as low as you could want. My wheels, two pairs, use Hope hubs, and Mavic X5.1 UST rims, circa 2003, hand built by John’s Bikes in Bath, and they’ve never had a spoke key on them.
    Put some air in about once a week, mix up some latex, or get some Stan’s sealant, and squirt some in via the valve every six months or so. I can’t tell you how many thorns I’ve found snapped off in my tyres, without them going flat. I pulled one out once, took the pliers on my Gerber to get it out, and it was 1mm across and 25mm long!
    Just put the wheel with the hole at the bottom, and it stopped bubbling after five minutes, with virtually no detectable loss of pressure.
    It’s only a hassle when you have to fill the tyre by levering the bead off the rim at one point, without spaff going all over the place! See historic badger thread…

adamhood
    Free Member

Which it did. Doesn’t get away from the fact that the Panaracer Tubeless Flat kit is a doddle to use, if it’s a tubeless tyre.

It is a tubeless tyre, I’ll have a look into stans,

ve known experienced cyclists to have been caught out/confused with the “tubeless ready” reference – it’s a fairly recent development and if someone hasn’t bought a new bike for a while are likely to be caught out/confused.

This is the first new bike I’ve ever brought! Well brand new anyway 🙂
    Thanks for your help and advice

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless puncture??’ is closed to new replies.