Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tubeless Problems – stans no tubes…any tips?
  • Joe

Trying to set up a set of arch ex rims with 25mm Stans tape, and tubeless valves using proper UST tyres. Kind of amazed how hodge podge the whole system seems to be; quite precarious? The way the valve just drops into the rim tape without any real seal, beyond a rubber bung seems quite strange.

I also cleaned out the tape from where the bead of the tyre is meant to snap into the rim…cutting off about 1mm around the whole circumference of the rim, because the tape seemed to be on the verge of being too wide. I don’t think this is what has caused my problems.

I’m using single wrap of the tape round the rim and even with some liquid latex am struggling for it to hold air. I get leaks around the valve itself, and some around the tyre (they dribble and spit latex for a few hours…)…but the tire loses probably half its pressure in 24 hours.

I think I was happier with my ghetto tubeless, old 20inch inner tube set up!!! Makes much more sense!?

Any hints?

nuke

I dip the rubber bung end of the valve in latex then put it in the rim and tighten the lock ring with a set of pliers (just for easy rather than to go ridiculous tight)so the rubber bung is snug into the rim

Surprised you’re losing air elsewhere given arch ex with a proper ust tyre…probably just a case of more latex, shake it around lots then go for a ride to make sure latex is dispersed well

scotroutes

Have you cut the hole for the valve according to instructions?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    benpinnick

Your using ust tyres won’t be helping matters as stans aren’t ust rims (I assume your losing air around the bead), but air leaking round the valves sounds like you’re just not tightening them enough (or using presta on a schreader drilled Rim maybe). Patience is the key, and also pumping the tyres up much harder than nnormal will help too.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Good clean of the rim with iso propyl alcohol before applying the tape?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Ditch the Stans latex…it’s crap.

The stuff I’ve used in the past never seems to dry. I find that the JRA wheel milk is better. It dries out after a while, but gets into the nooks and crannies and seals. I also ended up using a bit of extra tape to make sure. My UST wheels are much less of a faff.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Hi. try this….Hold the wheel with valve at the bottom so the sealent pools then flip it the other way. The sealant should flood over the valve sealing any leaks. Do it a few times.

Hope that helps

nickc

UST tyres shouldn’t be a problem. you might need a couple of goes around the rim with the tape though.

I didn’t cut a hole for the valve, just poked through with the tip of a knife, and let the valve make it’s own hole (if you see what I mean)

edit: soapy water on the wheel when you inflate?

gavstorie
    Free Member

ditch the rim tape and use insulating or gaffa/gorilla tape. Its probably the tape that is allowing air to leak under it and through the spoke holes.

get bontrager valves from evans.. They are much better than the rubber bung type

TiRed

I gave up with Schwalbe Nobby Nics on Stans Crest. Leaked through the valves. This after using Stans tape, valves and latex. The tyres were just too tight! Then swapped to Continental XC and some success, but non-tubeless tyres.

I’m now running wire beaded Schwalbe CX Pros and they sealed fine. It took some latex, poured in and the wheels laid on one side to finally seal the sidewalls and beads. A process of a couple of days. But they are fine now and I’ve raced them at 18psi.

Curiously, I’ve just mounted a Schwalbe One Tubeless road tyre on a Mavic Ksyrium with nothing more than a valve and CO2 cartridge. No sealant at all. It’s holding 110psi fine. May commute tomorrow via a shop for more sealant.

Northwind

Joe – Member

The way the valve just drops into the rim tape without any real seal, beyond a rubber bung seems quite strange.

Best way tbh- no need for any extra seals and other gubbinz to go wrong. If it’s leaking at the valve then either it’s not in tight enough or there’s a problem with the tape. Or it’s an unsuitable valve but I’m assuming you’re using a real tubeless one?

Is it the tyre that’s leaking, or the seal between the tyre and rim? I don’t know why you were mucking about cutting the tape but it probably shouldn’t cause any problems.

darrenspink
    Free Member

OP, what tyres?
    You have put the lock ring back on the valve..yes?
    Did you give them a good wiggle etc?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Original stans beadsocket worked pretty well with UST.

then they released the EX rim the revised the bead socket and made it shorter to hold onto ‘regular’ tyres. Pretty much as I understand it you’ll struggle to UST to work nicely.

Point it’s stans is meant to be an alternative to UST using regular tyres.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Problems – stans no tubes…any tips?’ is closed to new replies.