Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tubeless problem. Brand new Maxxis Beaver leaky sidewalls.
  • simplydownhill
    Free Member

I’m doing great with tubeless on the trail bike. I’m trying to do it on my CXish bike. Stans rims, brand new Maxxis Beaver tyres and Conti sealant. Air is leaking from tiny holes in the side walls. Ive been laying them on their sides and flipping them over for days. When I take them off, i’m used to seeing a dried film of sealant on the sidewalls but it isn’t happening in this case. Any ideas? Thanks

simondbarnes

Ride them

mikewsmith
    Free Member

more sealant and spin/ride

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simplydownhill
    Free Member

Yeah, sorry I’ve tried both of those.

Yak

Did you clean the release agent off from the inside of the tyre first?

simplydownhill
    Free Member

Say what?! What is it and how do you do it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did you clean the release agent off from the inside of the tyre first?

thats a new one for me

taxi25
    Free Member

spinnings no good it forces the sealant away from the sidewall. Hold the wheel in front of you and shake it back and for ten or more times, rotate the wheel a few degrees and repeat until you’ve turned it through 360 degrees. If that doesn’t work lay the tyre flat on either side for an hour or two.

puddings
    Free Member

Never used the conti sealant (always found stans works and have stuck with it) but is there a chance it has ‘gone off’ as other glues and sealants can when old/stored incorrectly?

simplydownhill
    Free Member

Brand new bottle, just opened. Always worked in the past so I have stuck with it 😉

chiefgrooveguru

thats a new one for me

Common problem with Continentals – sealant won’t stick to the inside of the tyre so they constantly deflate. Clean the inside of the carcass thoroughly (IPA is ideal but just scrubbing with water works) and lo and behold, the tyres work tubeless – and this is on their tubeless (not completely) ready tyres!

MoreCashThanDash

Nothing worse than a Beaver with leaky sidewalls…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless problem. Brand new Maxxis Beaver leaky sidewalls.’ is closed to new replies.