Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tubeless Problem?
  • MatA
    Free Member

I’m quite new to going tubeless, but my first experience putting Nobby Nics onto ZTR Crests was both painless & totally sucessful.

Now I’m trying to convert my cyclocross tyre/rim set up, which is Mavic rims, which are 19mm wide & some Continental Race 700c x 35 tyres. I’ve tried some stans rim strips, which fit the rims very well, however I can’t inflate the tyres. The problem is the tyre bead just won’t stay near to the edge of the rim, & just sits in the central recess of the rim. I’ve also tried packing out the rim with additional rim tape, but really struggling to get the tyre bead to go where it needs to be!

Any suggestions, is it down to the tyre, should I try another brand?

bighendo
    Free Member

what are you using to inflate the tyres?

tonyg2003

You probably need a damn big track pump, a compressor or a co2 cylinder to get the trye to sit correctly. Try taking the core out of the valve for the first attempt to get the tyre on the bead.

sniff
    Free Member

stick a tube in and inflate extra hard – leave overnight and the tyre will have stretched enough to be able to fit it tubeless.

boxelder

Turning the tyres inside out overnight might encourage them to splay on the rim?

steve_b77
    Free Member

You want a ghetto inflator you do

MatA
    Free Member

I’ve been using a track pump so far. However I like the look of the ghetto inflator – going to give that a go!

CO2 inflator has worked for me everytime when track pump wont work, the trick is getting a sudden rush of gas that expands the tyre before all of the gas escapes. Tyre fitters use a similar principle on truck tyres with a air tank with a large valve put between tyre and bead, open the valve and it then inflates and forces the inflator out, just dont get your fingers in there!

A compressor will also do the job but must have an air tank not a 12v tyre inflator.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Problem?’ is closed to new replies.