Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Tubeless ponderings.
  • KevinPP
    Free Member

Been running tubeless for a couple of years now. Totally converted. Won't go back to tubes. But I have one niggle. I have probably had to replace 5 rim strips so far, all of them because the rubber area around the valve/strip join seems to be very weak. Normally I use a track pump to keep things steady, but it seems that after a while the rubber just 'goes' and using a trail pump, where it's impossible to keep the valve completely still, is a sure recipe for failure.
    Normally I find it's when I'm changing tyres, but today it happened
    whilst I was out on a ride. A particularly muddy, gloopy ride. Just went to top it up a bit and the telltale bubbles started coming out around the valve seat. And after that of course I got 2 punctures in the tube that replaced it.. 👿

So it got me wondering, it's obviously not a problem with my Flows/yellow tape/seperate valve set up. Is it feasable to use a Stans valve with the (now valveless) rim strip? (on 317`s btw) Is it worth a go? Does any one else have this problem, or am I just very heavy handed?

shermer75
    Free Member

If it looks like a decent seal, then it probably is. There's a good chance the fairy liquid + stan's special sauce will take care of the rest. But why are you sat on your arse asking us reprobates? Give it a go! 😉

KT1973
    Free Member

….or get UST rims- no tape required.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MarkDatz
    Free Member

I use 24' chubs 4 geto rimstripa chuk them when tire where's out been totaly raped with them awsum dude

sofatester
    Free Member

I use 24' chubs 4 geto rimstripa chuk them when tire where's out been totaly raped with them awsum dude

In English? 🙄

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless ponderings.’ is closed to new replies.