• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by br.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tubeless pain in the arse again
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

After a few months of loving tubeless again, my latex has sealed my valve. No only did it seal it so well that I could bearly get any air IN, it also jammed partly open and allowed a slow leak so I was half-way round my night ride when the tyre became unusable. Combined with a lack of pump able to over-come the re-sealed valve it left me wheelying, manualing and eventually walking most of the way home (a couple of miles). GRRRR.

Does no-one else get their valves gummed up?

UK-FLATLANDER

Been running tubeless for about 5 years and never had this problem.

uplink
    Free Member

Does no-one else get their valves gummed up?

Not really, no
    Over time there's build up but nothing that totally jams the valve
    If it was leaking slightly beforehand, I guess it could have caused a quicker & more pronounced build up
    What's the other valve like?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think it might have been the leaking that caused the gumming. I sometimes get a bit of build up on a valve but nothing to write home about.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Latex just peels off, surely you can unscrew it and peel the gunk out?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hard to tell if the valve had been leaking, no signs of gum outside the valve and of course the pressure had dropped but I'm not sure if that was just due to permiation of the rubber/seal round the rim or the valve. Maybe it was the valve. That would make sense. I'll whip it out and clean it up tonight and see how I get on again!

coffeeking
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero – I'm not saying fixing it isn't easy, I'm just saying it seems to happen a lot and fixing it requires another trip to the compressor to re-seat the bead.

avalanche
    Free Member

My track pump got some sealant in the attachment gubbins and now only operates at around 50% efficiency. No problem with valves sealing up tho.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yeah I remove the valves and un-gum them from time to time

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

This does occasionally happen. As has been said, just dismantle the valve and de-gum.

Spraying some silicon spray into the vale when its clean can help prevent the built up for a while.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Oooh I like the spray idea, interesting.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its not a permanent solution, but it helps some.

When you lose the air to remove the core, do the beads of your tyres come unseated?

That doesn't happen on my flows – and just inflate them again after with a track pump.

br
    Free Member

Always carry a co2 adaptor/cartridge and a plier-based multi-tool.

One to blast, the second to remove if blocked.

And buy a compressor for home.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless pain in the arse again’ is closed to new replies.