Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tubeless on the road bike?Anyone done it? Tips please
  • mildbore

Just discovered my new Ultegra wheels are tubeless ready. Having been running tubeless on the mountain bikes forever, of course I’m keen to give it a go on the road. Not gonna race, just leisure riding. There doesn’t seem much choice in tyres, looking for reasonable price, weight, wear and have yet to find a tyre that hits all bases, and I’m reluctant to go ghetto cos of them 100psi explosion worries. Has anyone any experiences/tips to share/found tyres to recommend /avoid? Any other comments? (abuse welcome if witty)

Haze

Depends on your weight but doubt you’ll need 100 psi, I find 80 really comfortable at 65Kg…have been as low as 60 without trouble.

Schwalbe Pro One’s mostly but find they wear a bit quick, currently on Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season which seem to be holding up well…

scud
    Free Member

Done them on Stans A400 wheels and went up with track pump thankfully using Stans tape, but Joes No Flats valves, but as you say there is not much choice at the moment.

For summer use, Schwalbe One or Pro-One ride well, but i found they wore quickly. Hutchinson and Bontrager do some good ones that are harder wearing (except the Hutchinson Atom which is horrid)

cubicboy
    Free Member

Currently running Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season on my Ultegras – it’s a great combination. I’ve had three significant punctures mid-ride, but all have sealed, and after a spin of the wheel and a quick pump I’ve been able to continue my rides. I do about 150 miles a week so they get a lot of hammer, but they are wearing well and pretty grippy.

ontor
    Free Member

Yup. Tubeless at 60psi here. Very fast and comfy

pcosmic
    Free Member

I’m riding Hutchinson Sectors and they went up fine with tape. Obviously need to top up the sealant reasonably regularly which doesn’t come so natural on my road bike because I’m not changing tyres between seasons. Also riding lower pressures…

mildbore

Cheers for the tips, anyone tried the Bontragers? My lbs can get them at a reasonable price, which makes me a bit wary! (realise I may be after moon – on – a – stick here)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

anyone tried the Bontragers?

I’ve used the 25mm R3 Bonty.

Good grip but they wear in the centre pretty quickly. More than, say, a Schwalbe One. R2 is the cheaper version.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless on the road bike?Anyone done it? Tips please’ is closed to new replies.