Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Tubeless on Roval Traversee Trail wheels
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Anybody doing this?

Precious little in the way of instructions with wheels or online, so your experiences will be useful.

I’m thinking of putting Bonty Mud X (tubeless ready) on one set and either UST Conti Flows on the other – or possibly some folding Kenda Nevegal 2.35s.

Count
    Free Member

I’d be interested to hear as well, I just picked up a set of these wheels for a build I am doing this week. I have a Bonty tubeless tyre in my spares I could use, also a Conti Vert pro UST (my preferred tyre on other bikes). The wheelset has no real instructions though and are not UST, just tubeless ready. I was going to use the Bonty on the front, and the spare Vert Pro on the rear and run sealant as well. tubeless ready are quite a bit lighter than UST tyres but I have found them a lot weaker in use.

Great wheels and cheap at the moment if you shop around.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yes worked fine for me (was my first attempt at tubeless to). Wheels came with the blue tubeless compatible strip fitted and the valve so I used those along with Stans sealant.
    Used a High Roller 2.35 LUST on the front (bugger to get on) and a Mud-X TR 2.0 on the back (went on easy).
    Just followed a few tips I’d read…
    1). Stuck the tyre on and soaped it up without using sealant
    2). Suspended wheel via workstand to make it easier to work on
    3). Inflated tyre to see if it sealed OK without wasting sealant (it did with only a small leak at the valve), on the High Roller I had to pull the tyre up/away from the rim (at the valve) to get it to catch enough to start inflating. On the Mud-X I just pumped quickly and it made a seal straight away.
    4). Left for 10 mins
    5). Deflated tyre, unseated a section from the rim and poured in a couple of scoops of sealant
    6). Re-inflated tyre (after re-soaping) and shook the sealant around then rotated it slowly sloshing the sealant so it completely coated the inside of the tyre

Noticed a slight leak (small bubbles of sealant) on one of the tyres around the valve the following day but just shook the sealant around the area for a minute and it’s not leaked since.

Only ridden them a couple of times but they seem fine, although still getting used to the hollow sound the tyres occasionally make which sounds weird and keeps making me think they’ve gone flat ;p

Also surprised by the amount of grip from the Mud-X at Cwm Carn and Afan (expected it to be a bit pants over rocky sections, it’s a bit odd on the chicken wire on White’s though as the knobs jsut fit in the gaps and catch a bit) but I only fitted it as it was the only half-decent tubeless ready tyre I could get hold of quickly at the time, since bought a Maxxis Advantage to replace it with (although in no particular hurry to)

FuzzyWuzzy

What did confuse me about the wheels was converting the front to 20mm as it wasn’t really obvious (as no instructions) which of the plastic bits in the bag you were supposed to use and which way around they went. Seemed to go together OK on the second attempt though and I’m hoping if I’d done it wrong it would be immediately obvious…

psychle
    Free Member

Did you guys find a decent deal on your Traversee’s? Thinking about picking up a set for my Enduro… cheers 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

Got mine for £350 from certini.co.uk but just checked and they seem to have replaced them with the 2009 version @ £499 🙁

geetee1972
    Free Member

Got mine from Freeborn in Horsham for about £350. I am using them tubless, but I have had a few problems with this. They go up fine, using copious amounts of neat washing up iquid. But the first ride out the rear one blew off the rim the first fast corner I took and I’ve been running that with a tube ever since. The front one has also done the same but only once and that was under an extreme side load. Nevertheless, it was going round a steep corner and I crashed as a result.

I should add that I am heavy (104kg) and tend to put a lot of load on side walls so the problems I’ve had might be unique to heavy fast riders. I had the same problems with UST tubeless, but not, funnily enough, when using Stans rim strips. These seem to seal the tyre far better than other methods.

FuzzyWuzzy

What pressure are you running your tyres at? I’m about the same weight but not had them roll off or burp yet, running about 35psi in each, bit worried now :p

chakaping
    Free Member

Great, cheers for that guys.

Sounds like the Mud Xs might be OK anyway. I tried using them on UST rims (Crossmax) before and they were rubbish – so hopefully I’ll have better luck on these.

What tyres were you using geetee?

Count
    Free Member

I got mine from certini as well, not aware there is any difference in model year on these wheels anyway, I paid £342 I think which is a great deal. I looked at the build cost for an Enduro front hub laced to 819s and it was going to be the same, this way I have a spare hub that came with the frame if needed in the future.

Count
    Free Member

Actually, when I spoke with certini to sort the wheels they said that the wheels were going out of stock as a good review meant they were in demand. Certini had some stock in of a few sets so probably shifted these pretty quickly and new stock will suffer from exchange rate changes – they are showing no stock till May and a standard MRSP price.

That might all be tosh of course but makes me feel I got a better deal so works for me…

chakaping
    Free Member

I paid £359 from Freeborn btw, very happy with them too.

Think the 2009 have end caps for 15mm through-axles too. Don’t know of any other changes.

richc
    Free Member

any idea of the weight of these?

Count
    Free Member

the wheels combined are about 1580g iirc. Not quite as light as say Crossmax SLRs but fantastic for a wheel pitched at AM use, could be lighter still with a titanium QR set.

richc
    Free Member

thats seriously light for what they are, especially if they are as tough as they are supposed to be.

Straightliner

Bought mine recently from Freeborn, and really happy with them. Running Maxxis Ignitor XC’s on them tubeless and all going well.

Did have a problem early on with one wheel not staying inflated, but realised I’d slightly damaged the rim strip (be careful when fitting your tyres). Repaired that and all fine now.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m running Maxxis Minnions, front tyre on both the front and the rear, usually with around 30psi in them.

The Roval’s are the lightest wheel set you can buy that still allows for AM use. To illustrate, they are lighter than Mavic 717s on Chris King Hubs, with DT Comp spokes.

smurf
    Free Member

Haven’t tried mine with tubeless yet but loving the wheels. It’s fairly obvious if you don’t get the adapters in OK as you either can’t get the maxle through the hole (!) or the wheel won’t turn round.

You do get the odd pair turning up on ebay (as well as the lighter versions) as they are OE on Spesh bikes – Spesh now own Roval.

smurf

chakaping
    Free Member

Had a go at this last night with a Mud-X.

Sealed OK eventually, but air was leaking quickly from around the valve and an eyelet next to the valve.

No instructions and lack of tubeless experience mean I don’t know if I’m making a schoolboy error.

I don’t need to use anything in addition to the blue strips already in place in the rim bed, do I?

And are the valve cores not removable? was a right pain to get the solution in the edge of the tyre instead of squirting in the core like on Mavics.

Straightliner

If it’s leaking at the valve and at an eyelet, check you’ve not damaged the rim strip. This was similar to my problem, but it was leaking out of multiple eyelets – fixed with some tape.

chakaping
    Free Member

Righto, I’ll have a look at that.

Did you just add electrical tape?

simonm
    Free Member

anyone know for certain if the front is 15mm compatible ?

romain25
    Free Member

I just got a pair from Freeborn, not sure about the 08/09 thing but not 15mm caps but they are not indicated in specialized website. Great wheels so far and incredible bargain

chakaping
    Free Member

anyone know for certain if the front is 15mm compatible ?

I asked Freeborn, they had asked Spesh – apparently the 15mm end caps will NOT be available as an aftermarket product for ’08 wheel owners.

I read that the ’09 wheels come with them – but be sure to check before buying.

Happy to have all my wheels 20mm anyway.

romain25
    Free Member

I emailed specialized they told me that the 15 mm caps do not exist but may come out next year

catnash
    Free Member

Had mine through the post, otherwise there’s another batch coming 28th june, there’s no 15mm caps in there but wouldnt be too surprised to see those soon though. Had mine from freeborn but ordered about 6 weeks ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless on Roval Traversee Trail wheels’ is closed to new replies.