Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tubeless on cross bike?
  • Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    Still having problems converting my cross bike to tubeless.Uing Mavic Open Pro’s and Scwalbe CX Pro’s.Used a whole reel of spoke tape on one rim and Stans rim strip.Still nothing going in? Any tips?
    Thanx Max

charliedontsurf

Using a compessor. ?
    New tyres?

What is the problem? Leaking, bead won’t pop on ?

LenBuch
    Free Member

Lots of soapy water brushed around rim/tire wall.
    Also work round the kevlar bead with fingers and thumb to soften a bit – sometimes the bead can be stiff in places and that prevents a seal.

clubber
    Free Member

How have you fitted the rim strip? mine tucked under the rim bead so that you can’t see it from outside once it’s all set up.

GregMay
    Free Member

Waste of time for CX IMHO, cant run them low enough for the muddy days without burping.

Enjoy them burping when you remount at an angle.

clubber
    Free Member

Fantastic for CX IMHO 🙂

It all depends what you’re riding clearly but having previously been plagued by pinch flats (on rocks usually) and now not having problems on really rocky stuff, not to mention being able to run about 20psi lower it’s made a huge difference to me.

Never had them burp but I do run more pressure than most – 60-70psi (tubeless, was 80-85psi with tubes 😯 )

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Tubulars…. Way better…

FACT!

clubber
    Free Member

Expensive! and they still puncture.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    Just having trouble inflating,but using a track pump.Have had experience on my mtbs with stans rims and rim strips with no problems so its baffling with my cross bike! Using old tyres.Did notice still a lot of the rim wall is visible fom inside with tape and strips so i’am guessing it needs building up more.Any cheap alternative to stans spoke tape? Also tyre is not partically tight on rim so i guess more tape is the answer!
    Thanx Max

Halfbike

There;s a really good link here, which might help:

http://www.erikv.com/blog/index.cfm/2007/8/21/Mounting-a-cyclocross-tire-using-Stans-Notubes

I normally use CO2 cartridges rather than a track pump and that seems to help.

Definitely worth persevering though – the ride quality is waaaaaayyyy better with tubeless!

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Owt punctures tho… Never punctured a tub in a race!

They seem far more resistant to punctures for some reason. I have even started training on them so have the same ride feel all the time. You can not beat a set of Dugast Rhinos for 95% of riding!!

Should you puncture on the trail you can you use pitstop to get you rolling again! Some folk i race with now use sealant in their tubs! Not tried that myself tho!

clubber
    Free Member

Take the core out of the valve and pump like crazy with the track pump – that tends to free up the air flow a fair bit.

As to tubs – absolutley – if you don’t puncture often it’s not an issue. Some people do and for them tubeless is great…

Tasso
    Free Member

Slightly thinned clothes washing gel seems to work way better than washing up liquid due the gloopiness.

Gorrila Tape in place of normal rim tape or stans spoke hole tape. It’s like super tough and extra sticky gaffer tape and you can tear it off in any width you like to suit the rim shape. I think mine came from Maplins. Using that in my 29er rim that is ghetto setup using a 26″ innertube in lieu of the stans strip.

Not tried it on my open pro’s and cross tyres but see no reason why it won’t work exactly the same.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Extract from the OP on this thread.. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/purist-mtber

“Tools are a spare inner tube, attached to this is a small piece of tyre to fix any sidewall cuts and a reliable mini pump. When I say mini pump, not an aluminium anodized or 14g carbon tricknology one that you have never tested or does not work, despite having seen a review of it a magazine. All these items should be taped to the bike with insulation tape or a toe strap, the latter being better form. As for punctures these are infrequent as Stan’s no tubes are your friend (which is a piece of pi55 to set up despite people harping on every other week about compressors etc )” 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless on cross bike?’ is closed to new replies.