Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tubeless numpty question: Is it normal for them to deflate over time?
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

It’s been about 4/5 weeks since I’ve used the bike and the front (rim strip) is soft whilst the rear valve/fluid is completely empty.

The rims are Stans ZTR flows but the tyres are Maxxis Minioin front and HR rear both 2 ply, so not tubeless specific.

I know that everything goes flat over time but I’m just surprised at how flat the rears gone. I fitted the tyres myself and they were properly sealed at the time.

The one ride I managed to do was fine, I had no issues. So is this normal do did I not seal them properly?

mattmbk
    Free Member

Perfectly normal, usually takes 2 or 3 inflates and deflates and a few rides to get them fully seated. Have you got plenty of sealant in them?

muddy@rseguy

It’s normal. A long as the tyre bead is still attached to the rim socket and there arent any obvously large holes in the tyre you can just re-inflate em and get on with riding. To be honest I tend to find that for the first two or three rides after fitting the tyres need to have more air added then they seem to properly seal and stay inflated as the sealant has a chance to fully cover the inside of the tyre and work its way into any small gaps/holes etc.

4-5 weeks though and any tyres will start to loose pressure.

stimpy
    Free Member

Did you do lots of shaky shaky and lying them on their sides when setting them up?

You can’t just bang the spaff in and ride ’em.

So says Stans website. So it must be true.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Have you got plenty of sealant in them?

I put plenty sealent in as I bought a big bottle.

Did you do lots of shaky shaky and lying them on their sides when setting them up?

Yes, watched the Stans vid and did exactly as he did. There was nothing air escaping at the time.

There were loads of foam on the actual sidewalls I could see them fizzing so I’m guessing it might be from there.

As long as they don’t got flat riding, I’m happy.

seavers
    Free Member

Mine do. Or the rear does.Stans Flows rims. Non UST Ignitors. Occasional pump and it’s all gravy. I’m sure proper tires would solve this but rubber isn’t cheap.

I can live with it.

chiefgrooveguru

All tyres deflate over time, but fresh tubeless ready ones tend to go down quickest. I swear half the problems people have with tubeless out on the trails is because their mental thumb test calibration slips and they end up riding with much lower pressures than they think…

stimpy
    Free Member

You need to keep lying them on their sides until there’s no more fizzy foaming spaff coming out the sidewalls. Otherwise they ain’t properly sealed.

1) Lie them on their side
    2) Wipe foamy spaff off
    3) Turn them over after a few minutes & lie on the other side
    4) Wipe foamy spaff off
    5) Repeat 3 & 4 until no more foamy spaff to wipe off.

Then they’re sealed and they won’t go down (well they will, but they’ll take AGES to do it).

eyerideit
    Free Member

Sorry Stimpy I wasn’t clear, I did do the whole soaping, wiping shaking, laying thing for ages especially on the rear as I had a battle with it to inflate.

It’s been about 4/5 weeks since I’ve ridden the bike and it’s been sat there doing nothing.

I’ve pumped them up now and will be riding tomorrow so that should see if they’ll hold.

DezB
    Free Member

Depends on the tyres and how well they seal. My Hutchinson Toro USTs were sat for a couple of months in my garage and lost about 5psi, whereas Kenda SB8s lose about 5psi a week.

dibboid
    Free Member

I swear half the problems people have with tubeless out on the trails is because their mental thumb test calibration slips and they end up riding with much lower pressures than they think.

I agree. I was one of those people. I didn’t put any air in for about 2/3 months and joking about the people who monitor every psi and I just checked with my thumb. Not enough pressure and I chewed through a sidewall this scrapped the tyre

eyerideit
    Free Member

Depends on the tyres and how well they seal. My Hutchinson Toro USTs were sat for a couple of months in my garage and lost about 5psi, whereas Kenda SB8s lose about 5psi a week.

2 ply Minoin Front and High Roller rear, so not UST/Tubeless tyres.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d generally check pressures once a month anyway, just bang some more air in and get it ridden 🙂 I’m sure they work better if used more

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

One of my tyres deflated faster than the other. Eventually discovered a slight leak around the valve. Rim tape can also come unstuck. Dunk the whole wheel in a bath to see where it’s leaking.

Kryton57

2 ply Minoin Front and High Roller rear, so not UST/Tubeless tyres.

I’m assuming an away trip to the Alps / North is on the cards then? Surely not those tyres for your / our local area? 😉

Ps all my schwalbes lose about 10psi over 4 weeks.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’m assuming an away trip to the Alps / North is on the cards then? Surely not those tyres for your / our local area?

Hey Kryton, yes 4 days in the Alps including PPS on Friday, then come back and up to North Wales for a week.

Really looking forward to it.

😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless numpty question: Is it normal for them to deflate over time?’ is closed to new replies.