Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • tubeless nightmare
  • 20vturbogaz
    Free Member

I’m after some ideas as I’m having a nightmare getting my new conti baron to seal using stans notubes sealant and a mavic crosstrail UST rim. So far I’ve tried
    soapy water on the tire and a track pump = no joy.
    same again with an 8 bar compressor + lots of swearing = still no joy

The used rubber queen i fitted on the rear mavic rim only needed a track pump and a quick shake to seal. so Ive currently put a tube in the baron with 40psi to see if the tire just needed a couple of days on the rim to seat in.

cheers gaz

walla24
    Free Member

thread herehome build a pop bottle thingy…

20vturbogaz
    Free Member

i’ll give it a try thanks.

Kato

I was having loads of trouble with a Bonty TLR tyre even with a compressor. Found taking the core out the valve helped seat the bead in the end

iain65
    Free Member

As Kato said, I have had problems even with a compressor until I took the valve core out. I cut the internal sealing bit out to leave the external part of the core (if that makes sense…?), screwed it back in so I could attached the pump and everything has gone up fine since then. The valve core restricts the airflow and does not allow enough oomph to get the tyre moving on the bead.

The only alternative to this is a CO2 cartridge I think.

Iain.

si66
    Free Member

I’ve got barons on crossmaxes and the first time I seated them they were well tricky
    I did it by using just sealant, lying the wheel down then pumping like mad with a track pump
    As the bottom bead started to seal turn the wheel over & the latex can seal the other bead
    It took about 20 minutes to get both up
    Now they’ve been on the rims a whole they’re dead easy and pop up no bother
    Good luck!

20vturbogaz
    Free Member

I’ll give it a go again tomorrow without the valve core and see how I get on. If that fails its DIY bottle pressure thingy. I’ll let you know the out come.

chip
    Free Member

Co2 inflator and some soapy water in a squirty bottle works for me.

I have been using 12g capsules as have loads knocking about, they seat 3/4 of the tyre then finish off with track pump.
    Although I have just ordered 30 16g capsules from tyreinflators for £20 plus £5 postage.

They should last me a while, also carry one when out on the road on the commuter for when I get a puncture in undesirable surroundings where I feel a bit of a soft target late at night with my bike upside down, otherwise I just use the mini pump.

soobalias
    Free Member

tomorrow go in all guns blazing.

the tyre will be pre-stretched from having a tube, but also remove the valve core and use plenty of strong washing up soln everywhere and then stick it on the compressor till its banged/popped properly onto the rim.

try to let it deflate slowly so the tyre doesnt jump part off the rim

put the sealant in via the valve (coreless) after the first inflation then assemble the valve and inflate again 40+ psi and do that shakey thing or go for a quick ride.

Nobby

This is my solution

TBH, it’s rare tyres don’t seat with my track pump but I’m lazy furious pump action seems to hurt my dodgy back. Well that’s my excuse & I’m sticking to it…..

taxi25
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/30-secs-of-your-time-please-tubeless-survey

Fair bit of discussion on the above thread. Amazed so many people don’t think there’s a real demand for home mechanics bit of kit, that doesn’t include coke bottles or a great big compressor.

20vturbogaz
    Free Member

Job done. Thanks for the input.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Read lots about needing a large volume of high pressure to pop the bead on to the rim/into place…the question i have, as someone that’s yet to try this, is it obvious when a tyre is popped into place on the bead?
    Will i know when it’s in place?
    As only ever run with tubes before never noticed anything ‘popping’ into place…so hopefully its obvious when you try?

cheers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You’ll hear a very audible bang when the bead seats, very obvious.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Great – thanks for that. Also from what i read it can be possible to seat the bead using a tube as well.
    So worth trying that and leaving inflated with tube overnight first…
    I’ll be giving it a go tomorrow night and then starting another inevitable tale of tubeless woe thread shortly after…
    cheers

hatter

Conti tyres are generally a total arse to seal when new.

With particularly stubborn tyres the best tip I can give is to stick a tube in at highish pressure(40PSI plus) and leave them overnight then go back, carefully remove the tube whilst disturbing the other side as little as possible to try and leave the bead seated. put your valve and tyre-spaff in and pump it up.

The tube will push them out and form them into shape that makes them much more willing to pop on.

The good news is that once they’ve been mounted once they’re much easier to work with, it’s just brand new ones that are a real pain.

honourablegeorge

Conti recommend this:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HfULR0PnZE[/video]

20vturbogaz
    Free Member

Hatter i found that, my old RQ fitted with not one problem but the new Baron was a total pain. had to do the “bottle” trick to get it to seat not even my works 75Kw 7.2 bar compressor could get it to seat :D. I also think fitting a tube over night helped too as the tire had a much better shape when fitting it this morning.

hydrophil
    Free Member

+1 for the washing up liquid – apply both sides of the tyre and lay flat, inflate quick as you can witha track pump and it normally seals 1st time – no need for compressor or pop bottle in my experience. BTW, I use Schwalbe and they seat even after being stretched

Houns

You need to do it again, your valve/logos aren’t lined up

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘tubeless nightmare’ is closed to new replies.