Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tubeless newbie..what set up /tyre/rim combo is easiest less faff and good value
  • kaiser
    Free Member

I’d like to try it out without too much hassle . any recommendations without breaking the bank . mainly ride XC but like something reasonably strong and light to cope with occasional air/rock gardens etc. currently have a spare set of xc717 wheels but could buy some others to make life easier.
    thanks in advance
    Bill

mirage

Just use the wheels you have got, find some tyres with thickish/strong side walls and look up ghetto tubeless on youtube. One tip I would give you, actually two would be inflate the tyres on the rim using an inner tube over night to get it the right shape and also google tyre bong and make one of those if your track pump doesn’t inflate. I find that about 90ml of stans sealant is best.

Good luck, it can go either way, dead easy or right ball ache

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The easiest is UST tyres and UST rims. It goes up in increasing complexity from there.

clubber
    Free Member

If it helps, my 717 disc wheels with Bonty Mud X (tubeless ready) and NoFlats rim strips went up first time and stayed up.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What SO said, I’ve used UST, stans and early DIY ghetto – increasing PITA in that order. I gave up with ghetto, but it seems it can work, I’d get proper rim strips though.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Easiest I’ve found is Mavic 819 rims and Maxxis UST.

I also have Shimano wheels and various UST and non-UST tyres.

LoCo
    Free Member

Mavic 819 and Schwalbe tyres super easy to fit and remove, not that cheap though

bigjim

Stan’s system seems superb to me, dead easy with nobby nic’s on Crests for me.

Milkie
    Free Member

Stans Olympic wheels with yellow tape and Maxxis HR LUST tyres. They went straight on and pumped up straight away. A week later, after only loosing 10psi, I decided to put some latex in them. 😉

ilovemygears
    Free Member

i wouldnt bother unless you have ust rims and tyres

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ust tyre/rim is easiest,and most expensive.Ghetto is the most faff,and cheapest.
    Stans Rims and Tubless Ready (Bonty tl,2 bliss etc) sit somewhere in the middle.You don’t get nothing for nothing in this world!

VanHalen

my experience

ghetto + bontrager tyre = straight up no problem (dunno what the fuss is about)

ghetto + hutchinson = not a chance (ah…. )

ghetto + maxxis = a fair bit of huffing and puffing but up in the end (is it really worth the effort?)

ilovemygears
    Free Member

ghetto + bontrager tyre = straight up no problem (dunno what the fuss is about)

You were one of the lucky ones!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

By way of a comparision – I find doing tubeless tires (stans yellow tap + stans rim strips) less of a faff than bleeding avid brakes.

Or at least I dont put it off so long.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless newbie..what set up /tyre/rim combo is easiest less faff and good value’ is closed to new replies.