Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless newbie – what do i need to buy?
  • stevede
    Free Member

Right then i have mavic xm819 tubeless ready rims and thought it would be a shame not to go tubeless so i've got some ust tyres (kendas for now)but what else do i need? They have tubes in at the minute and the guy i bought them off never gave me any valves so guessing thats the first thing i need – do they need to specifically be the mavic ones?
    Also sealant recommendations and amounts?
    I'm totally clueless on the process but i'll use the search function to find out what to do just need to know everything i need so i can get cracking.
    Cheers in advance,
    Steve

mboy
    Free Member

You have UST rims and UST tyres (so you're almost there).

All you need are the UST valves… Though a bit of sealant is always a good bet too.

Sealant wise, use Stans, it's the best. Or make your own like I do…

Murray

MaverickBoy – what's your recipe?

mboy
    Free Member

At the mo

1 part art latex
    1 part Slime
    1 part car antifreeze
    1 part water

Next time might leave the water out and just put more antifreeze in though. It's almost as cheap as water, and makes it more weatherproof in our lovely current UK climate!

Got the recipe of MTBR forums. Loads of people on there have been experimenting, worthwhile doing a search on there. It's a work in progress for me too anyway, but in the long run will work out a lot cheaper than Stans at £18 a litre or whatever it is, as I have 4 bikes, each of them running tubeless.

br
    Free Member

Mavic valves, make sure they are the ones with the removable inners.

Bottle of Stans sealant.

Compressor.

Bucket with warm soapy water.

Patience.

Murray

These guys have lots of useful information
    http://www.justridingalong.com/content.php?pid=547&jras=8iho9rigt8ho4f5p4aq17h3406

I have had success with a track pump rather than a compressor.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Mostly, you should make sure you buy a big old bag of 'careful thought' to munch on and while you're at it, get a bottle or too of 'patience to out-stare a goldfish' to chug on.

HTH
    😀

starseven
    Free Member

I managed without the compressor or soap, inflate once with a tube, then with just a valve no problem.
    As you have ust everything I don't think you need sealant but it may be better for a bit of puncture protection.

stevede
    Free Member

Cheers for all the advice people, shopping list will be 2 x mavic ust valve and a bottle of stans sealant for added puncture protection.
    Will try the inner tube first, then warm soapy water and will use my track pump for inflation and if that fails will take them to the nearest petrol station and use their compressor.
    Cheers again,
    Steve

dickie
    Free Member

I use JRA wheel milk with UST tyres on UST rim. A tip I picked up was to inflate the tyre with the wheel supported ie not with the wheel weight on the un inflated tyre.
    Also to save a bit of potential mess, inflate without sealant & pop on the bead, then deflate & unseat the bead in a small area to add the sealant then re inflate.

oxnop
    Free Member

Kenda's go on with a track pump really easy- don't use sealant with kenda's it reacts with the rubber and will destroy the tyre.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless newbie – what do i need to buy?’ is closed to new replies.