Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tubeless newbie
  • brack
    Free Member

So ive recently bough a bike that has tubeless tyres fitted…with the gunk in them.

Whilst on a ride last night I suffered a puncture. I think it must have been flint as the gash is clean and approx the size of this __

Initially it wouldnt seal but got me home eventually.

The bike was left at work and the tyre has stayed up.

However whilst searching for the gash again I have dislodged the sealant and the tyre is no longer inflated.

New tyre ? Go tubes again as my area is heavy flinted ( South Downs)?
    Persevere and hope that it seals again ?

Help this really is all new to me and a little worring that I am putting so much faith in a bit of sealant that i dislodged easily with my finger.

Ta

nuke

Bad luck for getting a gash like that so soon but dont be put off just yet as i reckon its worth persevering with tubeless. You need to use this to repair the gash if it hasn’t sealed fully… http://m.evanscycles.com/products/weldtite/tubeless-patch-kit-ec012005

Yak

Or a tubeless patch on the inside to better support the area around the slash. I wouldn’t rely on sealant alone for that size.

brack
    Free Member

Cheers guys…

I will persevere but hope it’s the last as this is a bit of a faff.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Unlucky that a gash as small as that only temporarily sealed.
    Stick a patch on the inside of the tube, replace the gunk and you’ll be fine.
    Remember too that the gunk needs checking and either replacing or at least topping up, as it can go off/dry up.
    Every 3 months is a good rule of thumb for an interval to check at.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I will persevere but hope it’s the last as this is a bit of a faff.

Treat it like a tubed tyre. You wouldn’t just put more air in an innertube and ride on with a hole that big. Tubeless patches (really just normal ones, or patches made of leftover innertube with superglue rather than rubber cement). Depends on the sealent too. I’ve had Stans seal 1″ gashes in tyres before (although it did take several attempts, and it would have been a bit fragile).

You can always go back to tubes, but they’ll get cut too, and get thorn punctures, and pinch flats etc. It’s just a ballance of what’s more faff, occasional tubeless punctures which might take longer to fix, or regular tube punctures.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless newbie’ is closed to new replies.