Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tubeless “milk” question
  • Krooges
    Free Member

I need to buy some more milk. I’m running DT tubeless kits on normal rims.
    I’ve heard that liquid latex from an art shop is a suitable alternative to wheel milk (i.e. JRA, Stan’s etc versions). It’s much cheaper too.

Does anyone have experience running liquid latex as opposed to the ridgy didge stuff?

njee20
    Free Member

The JRA ‘Art Latex’ dries out very very very quickly, I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole! The pukka Stan’s stuff has never dried on me, it stays liquid for months. I’d say the Stan’s stuff is the way to go, even if it is expensive.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

2nd for Stands. Just poured a bit more into the back wheel to top it up and the 18 month olds stuff was still liquid in there.

Probably didn’t need topping up but I thought it would have dried up by now. No punctures or significant air loss in 18 months either.

Krooges
    Free Member

Ah. I have been using the JRA stuff and have had the same experience. I was hoping that this wasn’t “normal”.

For you fellas with Stan’s, is there aything funky in the latex to make is work better (i.e. plug punctures) than just pure latex?

DeeJay
    Free Member

Copydex mixed 10ml to 100ml of water & a drop of washing up liquid in with the water – works a treat, costs almost nowt – jizztastic

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

krooges – I guess there must be because I have pulled 7 hawthor thorns out of the tyre after a single crash and they all sealed instantly with no noticable loss of pressure. I was really suprised as I had broken my pump in the crash so was expecting a flat tyre.

firestarter
    Free Member

mmm im just about to order some wheel milk i think i may change the order to some stans then as im sick of the need for topping up so regular, hope this stans is better 😉

Offroading
    Free Member

Similar results myself – JRA wheel milk would dry out within a week in my tyres – Stans is lasting longer still liquidy inside after two months. Its more expensive but lasts longer so cheaper in the long run.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You need to replenish JRA every couple of months because it dries quite quickly (which is why it’s effective as a sealant). I forgot to top up my ghettoed back wheel since January and yesterday picked up my first puncture in 12 months. Put a tube it after carefully inspecting the tyre for embedded thorns (found several). Remember to top up!

The dilute copydex tip sounds good, but why add washing up liquid?

DeeJay
    Free Member

The dilute copydex tip sounds good, but why add washing up liquid?

Makes it a bit frothy giving a good initial seal and quick sealing of any subsequent punctures. Also seems to make the jizz last longer in the tyre – checked them after 3 months and still plenty in.

Inzane
    Free Member

There is a whole thread over here if you would actually like to make your own…

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=406115

I make my own out of carpet latex and monopropylene glycol. I was adding glitter for a bit… but to be honest I dont think it really helps much. The shed is very sparkly these days tho 😆

have a read through the post over on Mtbr. Their latest recipes are near the end of the thread.

Paceman
    Free Member

How often should Stan’s milk be topped up?

tinsy
    Free Member

Ha, Ha, I love it, I asked about alteratives to off the shelf milk about a month ago, as I was wondering about PVA adhesives etc, and I got shot down in flames for it…

So, through the inventiveness of the industrious few there isnt any need to buy any UST specific stuff at all, and still successfully run tubeless.. I might even give it a go.

Krooges
    Free Member

Thanks to all contributors. I have just popped out and picked myself up some latex and slime, ready to mix with some premix screen wash and hopefully bob will be my uncle.

burt
    Free Member

i,ve been using latex for over a year now, mixed with automotive slime and glitter strips (larger than glitter). only used screen wash during the winter. watered down with water. not had a puncture since. i call it Burts spoof. had to peel a load of it off my down tube yesterday after the ride, didnt even realize i’d had a puncture. i found stans to be not thick enough and it just blew through any holes as soon as you put air back in.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d just shake your wheel occasionally and if you can’t hear sealant sloshing about then you should top it up. As for which one to use, I use Stan’s to after reading JRA stuff dries up quickly.

Jamie
    Free Member

Im using JRA and to be honest never had a problem with holes not sealing. If there are other products out there that stay wetter for longer tho i will probably try them next after i have got through my last bottle of wheel milk.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless “milk” question’ is closed to new replies.