Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless Mavic EN521, Ghetto, Joes Strips or??
  • andymac
    Free Member

Moving my Stans Flow EXs onto my DH bike to use as a race only rim. As such I am left with tubeless ready Schwalbe tyres that I would quite like to run tubeless on my AM rig. The rear rim is an en 521 and I was toying with going for the Joes no flat strips from CRC as they are £17 and not a great deal more than 2 x BMX tubes. Not interested in the Stans rim strips as they are too expensive. Any thoughts?

I am also considering a front Minion on a 719 for another bike. As its on the front I would feel more comfortable with an official strip rather than Ghetto in case of rolling off the rim incidents.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I run mine tubeless. They’ve quite a deep well so it took a lot of electrical tape to fill it out enough, almost a whole roll, and a cut down tube on top of that.

andymac
    Free Member

Thanks got the reply. What’s the advantage of building up the well? I was planning on using some spare Stans yellow tape and either of the above methods.

Northwind

I fannied around with tape and bmx tubes on 719s for ages (or, possibly 717s- not entirely sure now). Never really worked, I could get it to seal and roll which I guess most folks would consider a success but the burping/rolling off made it useless. YMMV of course.

andymac
    Free Member

It’s the rolling off on the front wheel I would be most worried about which is a 719. Not so worried about the rear.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well none of my tyres would inflate until I’d put loads more tape in.

mmel
    Free Member

I used a Stan’s Rhino rim strip with my EN521s. Worked first time with my track pump and for the sake of £16 it was well worth it.

VanHalen

My en321’s (same as a 521 but pinned not welded) but and minions go straight up ghetto with a bmx tube. No need for any tape.

Couldn’t get it to inflate with a 19-25mm Joe’s strip.

Cheers

andymac
    Free Member

Sounds like Ghetto it is then. Cheers.

Lummox

Just a warning I had a front wheel roll, burp and instant deflate with the
    Joes strips en521 and Maxxis dual ply tyres. Pressure was mid 30’s, none of my ghettos have done that on similar and thinner set ups.

It put me down hard and turned me off the system on my more enthusiastic bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My en321’s (same as a 521 but pinned not welded)

I don’t think that’s true? The en321 is the older flatter rim that used to be called the 219? The en521 is a big toblerone sectioned rim. My 321’s worked with a bmx tube/stans kit, the 521’s needed the extra padding.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Mavic EN521, Ghetto, Joes Strips or??’ is closed to new replies.