• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tubeless Mavic 819 rim Question
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m thinking of building myself some wheels with 819 rims to go tubeless, but I don’t want to give up my favorite tyres (Bonty Jones ACX) I know they do a tubeless ready version, but I already have acouple of pairs of normal kevlar beaded ones. Will they (or any other ‘normal’ tyre for that matter) work with 819 rims and sealant or not, anybody know?

Ta muchly
    🙂

number2
    Free Member

I have used normal Panaracer Cinders 2.25 with stans sealant on mine with no problems.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sounds promising!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JPcapel
    Free Member

Yes, to an extent…assuming you mean you will use an inner tube still.
    819 rim has an inner lip/grove, that the tubeless (UST) tyre bead slots into.
    A normal, non UST tyre doesn’t then want to sit in a uniform way with this rim.
    I have this rim on both my bikes, and while wanting to use up a back selection of tyres, found any non UST tyre wouldn’t sit straight on the rim and was more prone to coming off the rim when riding hard.
    I have now used nothing but UST tyres on the 819’s.
    Its quite a narrow rim, so I don’t go past 2.2″ width. Otherwise the tyre feels like it roles on the rim.
    Be interesting to see any other opinions.
    Have ridden some quite large drops on these rims on both full sus. & hardtail and remain true and seemed stronger than expected for their intended use (Xc). Rode smaller ladder drop at Chicksands last week and was fine. Have used Hope ProII hubs with tripple butted spokes and nice light weight achieved.
    All in all well recommended here.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

assuming you mean you will use an inner tube still.

No, I mean tubeless. Using a tube on 819s would be pointless…..
    🙂
    This is why I asked, thanks for the info!

takisawa2

Non-UST Michellin All-Mountains running tubeless on X719’s here.
    No problems.

mboy
    Free Member

PP, it’s a bit hit and miss with “normal” tyres. Some do, some don’t. Very much a case of “see for yourself” I’m afraid. There’s bugger all chance of a “normal” tyre inflating without a compressor too really. Apply the same rules used for Stans notubes kits to using UST rims with normal tyres. That is to say Maxxis tyres are the most reliable and easiest to inflate, and that you’ll have to use some sealant (which you should do anyway, even with UST IMO). I’ve only tried it with a Schwalbe Big Jimmy on a 819 rim, and in fairness I got that to inflate ok, though it was so porous that from 50psi it was totally flat within 60 seconds! I do know someone that managed to get non Tubeless Ready Bontrager Big Earls (kevlar folding ones) to seal on his 823 UST rims though. Could bode well!

Can get Tubeless Ready Bonty ACX’s for about £20 each though from a few places, so no big deal really (very good tyres BTW).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mboy, yeah I love my Bontys!
    It’s just that I need a new rear hub anyway, then 2 819 rims, then spokes and it starts to get expensive…. Tyres as well adds even more

Otherwise I can leave my front wheel as it is, and just build a rear on a 717 = Much cheapness!

scruff
    Free Member

I ran a few different normal tyres on my 819s WITHh a stans rimstrip, no problems apart from Pananracer tyres which wouldnt inflate, as the are utter sh1te. Stans FAQ says a rimstrip isnt needed but can help inflating/ burps etc.

Im running ACX TLRs though now and they are very good.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just priced it up –

I can get the rear hub I want for £60 (New Hope XC in LBS, 36h)

£60 hub + £20 spokes + £41 Mavic 717 = £121
    £60 hub + £40 spokes + £57 ea Mavic 819 = £214

But CRC don’t list 819s at 36h…….

boobs

um 60+20+41=121
    60+40+57=177 not 214 or am I missing something

number2
    Free Member

When fitting my ‘normal’ tyres to 819s I had to fit with a tube first, leave overnight then peel back one side of the bead, remove the tube, drop in the sealant and inflate with track pump. Works every time, even with Panaracers so far.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

60+40+57=177 not 214 or am I missing something

Sorry, not clear, I put “£57 ea” meaning ‘each’ and I’d need 2, hence double the price for spokes too
    🙂

glenh
    Free Member

I’ve had trouble inflating normal tyres on 819s ‘cos they aren’t as tight as they are on a converted rim.

Bonty tubeless ready ones work well though!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Another Bonty Jones ACX TR + XM819 setup here, using Stan’s sealant.

Faultless in use and very easy to get up and running.

Doug
    Free Member

Maxxis SP are fine on 819’s run with sealant.

MrNutt
    Free Member

hmm anyone run 2.35 High Rollers on 819’s?

scruff
    Free Member

UST Pie rollers on 819s yes.

MrNutt
    Free Member

mmm I’m thinking LUST pie rollers on 819’s (currently use 823’s)

mboy
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Mboy, yeah I love my Bontys!
    It’s just that I need a new rear hub anyway, then 2 819 rims, then spokes and it starts to get expensive…. Tyres as well adds even more

Otherwise I can leave my front wheel as it is, and just build a rear on a 717 = Much cheapness!

Yeah it does, but they are significantly stronger and more resilient than a 717, which is an XC only rim IMO. The 819 is up to much more abuse!

PeterPoddy – Member

Just priced it up –

I can get the rear hub I want for £60 (New Hope XC in LBS, 36h)

£60 hub + £20 spokes + £41 Mavic 717 = £121
    £60 hub + £40 spokes + £57 ea Mavic 819 = £214

But CRC don’t list 819s at 36h…….

819’s only available in 32, 28 and 24h versions I’m afraid.

FWIW, don’t know what your current front wheel is, but might be worth selling that and buying a pair of Hope Pro 2’s already built on 819’s. Have seen Pro 2’s on 819’s brand new, with DT comp spokes, for £260 from a couple of places.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Mavic 819 rim Question’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts