Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tubeless luddite tendancies
  • hydrophil
    Free Member

Listen right, everyone has been telling me how good going tubeless is and how Id never look back. For my new 29er build, I thought Id give it a go and had an expert wheel builder shop put me some wheels together (schwalbe on Mavic) with all the proper tape, sealant.

I havent even ridden the damn thing yet and the front tyre has lost its pressure twice and the back is slowly loosing its as well. I have confidence in the wheel builder so whats going wrong? My take on this is that the whole tubeless thing is going to be a pain the a**e and so Im going to put some tubes in I think. Read a lot about the fact that 26er tubes fit pretty well to 29er rims and Im assuming the Stans tape is fine as a normal rim tape? Any disputes to that?

Must be getting old 🙁 but cant see what all the fuss is about.

pete68
    Free Member

You need to ride it. Gets the sealant in any small holes and should seal them.

scaredypants

schwalbe UST on Mavic UST

or

schwalbe on Mavic

sbob
    Free Member

hydrophil – Member

Listen right, everyone has been telling me how good going tubeless is and how Id never look back.

And a lot of my friends spend 25% of their time extolling the virtues of the new Apple mobile they have just bought, but it doesn’t stop them complaining about them the other 75%.

There are so many threads on here about tubeless nightmares I don’t think I’d ever bother.

Deveron53
    Free Member

The wheels need to be ridden to get the sealant into all the nooks and crannies. Put more sealant in if it looses pressure too much. I just took a tubeless bike out of storage today. After 4 months of not riding, front tyre lost all pressure. Rear was still up at about 20psi.

honourablegeorge

If your expert wheelbuilder gave you Mavic rims with tape on then, he’s either taped up some UST rims which don’t need tape, which is all wrong, or taped up some non-tubeless rims, which is something of a bodge.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I thought all mavic rims are UST, which is nought to do with whether they need tape to seal the spoke holes or not. Its about how the tire hooks into the rim.

Tubless works great with the right rim/tire combo and in the right application. If not its a proper mare. Try topping up the sealant and spinning the wheels, that should sort it so long as the tire is seated properly, the valve seated properly and the tape done well.

simondbarnes

I thought all mavic rims are UST

You thought incorrectly. The XM819 is UST. I think that may bit it though.

Northwind

OP- as has been said, riding it gets the sealant splashing, it’s rare in my experience for a tyre to stay up til it’s been for a decent ride (though, normally it’ll stay up well enough to get that ride done!)

But I am very skeptical about your expert wheelbuilder tbh, if he’s chosen to use a non-UST Mavic for tubeless- doing a conversion when you’ve already got the wheels is one thing but building them for the job is just daft.

allmountainventure – Member

I thought all mavic rims are UST, which is nought to do with whether they need tape to seal the spoke holes or not. Its about how the tire hooks into the rim.

Nope- UST = Universal Standard for Tubeless.

hydrophil
    Free Member

all good points ta, will try a ride
    Anyone got any views on 26er tubes on 29ers – do these work ok?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless luddite tendancies’ is closed to new replies.