• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by bigh.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tubeless leaking through valve hole
  • drofluf
    Free Member

Just swapped a Stan’s rim strip between wheels and it’s leaking from the valve hole. So mich do that if I pump it to 30psi I can hear the air escaping.

Is it ok to reuse rim strips? Google seems to suggest so. It fitted on snugly, jus is leaving from the valve hole and a few days of re-inflating and shaking isn’t helping. So is there anything I can do or should I get a new rim strip?

br
    Free Member

Re-fit it, and have another go.

FWIW you can reuse the latex.

AlasdairMc

Is it definitely the valve hole and not the stem? I had loads of trouble with a valve then swapped the stem from a Schwalbe inner tube and it has been fine since.

I’ve not used the rim strips though, just normal tape and valves so YMMV

xcretro
    Free Member

Hi, I just had this issue and found that tightening the valve stem lock nut a bit tighter with some pliers pulled the rim strip tighter against the inside of the rim and made that seal a bit better.

prob in need of some new rim strips eventually though.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

When that happens its normally due to air getting under the rim strip, do i would take the tyre off clean \ reseat the rim strip and try again

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Ive had this when the rim strip hasn’t been properly seated and air has got underneath.Make sure it’s bedded into the wheel rim and make sure the valve is properly seated too.

drofluf
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Took it off and gave it a clean, a lot of fluid between rimstrip and rim. Eventually found a pinhole in the rimstrip 🙁 so new rimstrip time.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’d try fixing it first with a bit of vulcanising solution and possibly a patch

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you need rim strips? Been fine with just yellow tape and a valve

bigrich

it’ll be the rim strip. you may not think it will be, but it is.

drofluf
    Free Member

dvatcmark – Member
    I’d try fixing it first with a bit of vulcanising solution and possibly a patch

Just done this, I’ll see what happens

drofluf
    Free Member

So far, so good. Seems to be staying up

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Good stuff, should be fine as at the end if the day a rim strip is just a bit of thick inner tube

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

1″ Gorilla tape for the win.

andymac
    Free Member

I used LSX plumbing sealant which worked a treat on a rather too big and badly drilled out valve hole.

bigh
    Free Member

I have many holes in my shoddy gorilla tape that i used for rim tape. Latex sealed every single one.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless leaking through valve hole’ is closed to new replies.