Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tubeless Latex
  • EccentricEllis

I’ve used a few systems before (Bontry and DT) but i’ve just tried Stans, now i know a lot of you use it, So far so good with me anyway!

My question is, what sealant do you lot use?
    Can you use a arty type latex?
    Where is the best place to buy it?

I’ve seen this Wheel Milk and it seems quite good, anyone used it?

I’d like a HUGE! container of the stuff, it’d be useful for sorting my families bikes out because they puncture all the time. 🙁

Handy for me though i suppose, i’m one of those people that like to have all the spares for all the kit you own. 🙂

Any info i can get is perfect.
    Thanks guys!

E.

user-removed
    Free Member

*Awaits picture of large chap surrounded by broken bus / tyre / law suit*

Oh, and search the forum for “tubeless”

EccentricEllis

Will do, Nice one.

rob
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

IME Wheel Milk dries out far far too fast to be of any use, I’ve found it solidified after a week. Stan’s is good, Caffe Latex is meant to be good for helping with the initial seal, but then not as good as Stan’s at sealing punctures.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Stan’s all the way! I’ve taken tyres on and off with the stuff in and it stays nice and liquid even after months of use. Anything with too high a latex content makes lumps everywhere, Stan’s seems to be just right.

scruff
    Free Member

Never had an issue with Stans, I use it in bikes and also on the off road pram wheelz.

rickon
    Free Member

Specialized spooge is ridiculous, i might as well have poured water into the tyre.

It’s not thin enough to plug small holes, or move around the tyre enough to help with sealing. Stans is awesome stuff.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Bit of a thread hi-jack here, once the latex is in a tyre, how often should it be replaced?

Did the short CRC at Ruthin on sunday, and where the route cut off was very brambly – inevitably got a thorn in my front tyre, but still lost a lot of air before the paltex plugged the hole – went tubeless about this time last year, so would I be better off replacing the latex, and if so, would the rest of the solution in the bottle in my shed also have gone off?

Using Joes BTW.

brassneck

Joes or Stans have been best for me. They seem to stay liquid for longest, anything up to a a year when I swap out tyres.

scruff
    Free Member

missing- all depnds on summer / winter/ type and size of tyres and what you use. I top up every few months. If bottle has had top on properly it’ll be fine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used wheel milk, sealed punctures fine (even big cuts!) but as others said, it dries out and I’ve a half used litre bottle somewhere that appears to have gone ‘off’ and has the consistency of its dairy namesake after being left for a similar timescale.

DIRT had a review of some foaming stuff that was supposed to make getting the tyres inflated easy, but didnt have a long term review of it.

EccentricEllis

Bit of a thread hi-jack here, once the latex is in a tyre, how often should it be replaced?

Loads of factors could alter how long it would take to dry out. Just nip the side of the tyre off every few months and top up if needs be.

So Stan’s seems the best really.

mintimperial

also on the off road pram wheelz

Fantastic. 😀

WTF
    Free Member

Used wheel milk for two years now with no issues.

Northwind

I finally had some Stans dry up, I reckon it took about 6 months which seems reasonable enough, usually I’ll have done some random tyreshuffling or just worn something out faster than that.

Anyone know of a good way to clean dried sealant off a tyre btw? Just rubbing it with a finger or scotchbrite does the job but it’s hard work.

epicyclo

Don’t your tyres end up weighing half a ton with all the dried latex?

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t your tyres end up weighing half a ton with all the dried latex?

No – latex is pretty light, it’s the liquid where all the weight is, and that’s gone!

scruff
    Free Member

Shirley the dried latex on a (non UST) tyre keeps it generally sealed up so best to leave it?

stayhigh

Anyone know of a good way to clean dried sealant off a tyre btw? Just rubbing it with a finger or scotchbrite does the job but it’s hard work.

I had to take my rimstrips off for wheels to have some spokes replaced and forgot to wipe latex off at the time. It took 400 man years to rub it all off when I got round to it 3 months later 😳

When I first went tubeless it was with an Eclipse kit 4 years ago, think its DT now. I got some wheel milk at the same time just in case I goofed which seem ok but IIRC dried within a few months.

Since then I’ve used Joes which I have no complaints about. 6 months after fitting it was still liquid inside and doing what it does best 🙂

A quick aside; Can you reuse the latex solution? When I took my rimstrips off there was still a good amount left so sucked it up and its been in a jar ever since?

devs
    Free Member

On my ghetto wheels I have found Joes to make a much better and longer lasting seal between the tube and tyre to the point where it can become pretty difficult to get off. Also I have found Joes to seal better than Stan’s and last longer in the wheel. Neither dry out in UST tyres, only in single ply ghetto set ups. Stan’s has failed me once, Joe’s never has. By fail I mean it didn’t seal a hole that was relatively small 2-3mm. An anchovy did the trick. In summary, I prefer Joe’s but am happy enough with Stan’s if I can’t get Joe’s. I’ve not tried any of the others and see no need to!

EccentricEllis

isn’t Joes exactly the same as Stans?

Northwind

stayhigh – Member

“A quick aside; Can you reuse the latex solution? When I took my rimstrips off there was still a good amount left so sucked it up and its been in a jar ever since? “

I reuse my Stans- I let it pool and suck it out with one of the little bottles, then top off with new stuff. Might not officially be a great idea but it’s always worked fine for me.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Latex’ is closed to new replies.