Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless kit buying advice please
  • Gunz
    Free Member

I’ve decided to bite the bullet and go tubeless on my Stans ZTR Crest rims. Looking at the kits the Stand one is £40 and the Hope one is £23. Do you get what you pay for or shall I go cheaper?
    Cheers.

BoardinBob

You just need tape, valves and fluid. You don’t need rim strips with Stans rims (if at all)

Gunz
    Free Member

That’s what someone else told me Bob but conversely it seems to be only Stans kits that come with the rim strip. Which kit did you go for?

jekkyl

.Cut a valve off an old innertube, making sure to use one where the valve is removable. (even buying an innertube would be cheaper than a buying a proper tubeless valve)
    .Buy some gorilla tape (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gorilla-3044000-Tape-11m/dp/B001W030HC) I do one wrap of thin electrical tape and one wrap of gorilla tape. Press it down hard usuing a non sharp utensil (wooden spoon?) and then trim round the edges with a very sharp knife so that no tape goes up the side of the rim, only in the bottom.
    .Buy some liquid from your LBS.

Total cost will be about £12, Jobs a good un!

Gunz
    Free Member

Right Jekkyl, I’m going for your method, I’ve got some painter’s frog tape that should do nicely for the first layer. Wish me luck.

jimjam
    Free Member

Controversially……I would recommend buying Stans tape. Or if you wanted you could try another brand such as WTB or Spank. Reason being, it’s the perfect width, very adhesive and very non porous. It does a good few rims and lasts for ages when in situ. When applied correctly it doesn’t need any trimming, any pressing, etc…no ****ing about.

With tubeless and all the myriad of potential issues that can occur I like to eliminate all the potential points of failure. The result is that I can usually seat most tyres with a shitty £14 airwave track pump without too much effort.

jekkyl

You’re right Jimjam but you can get gorilla tape in different sizes and iirc there is one that is the exact width of stans rim. I usually go a little bit up in the side in places due to carelessness on my part and that is what I refer to trimming off.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

this

no need to cut, hair dryer to make it more sticky

jimjam
    Free Member

Well there you go, every day’s a school day. I didn’t know they made skinny versions. I might try some of that next time I have to do my rims.

takisawa2

Wickes sell gorilla tape.
    The stuff tears with perfect accuracy along it’s length though anyway, so I just used that.

bigblackshed

I used the ghetto BMX inner tube, with a full threaded schrader valve, bit of air, stretched it over the rim, then cut round with a sharp pair of scissors. The tube then wraps itself towards the hub. Wipe the talc off the tube.

Inflate with a compressor and let the tyre and tube settle. Remove the valve core and put some Stans staff in. Pump up and leave to settle and seal.

Then very carefully trim the excess tube off with a sharp knife.

I’ve never had a problem, never burped a tyre.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless kit buying advice please’ is closed to new replies.