Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tubeless. Kindly impart geeky knowhow, poindexters;
  • Eccles
    Free Member

Ok, I've had a crack at this tubeless lark before but with limited joy due to tyre/rim combos.

The lardy un-sealable MTX rims are coming off though and are quite possibly being replaced with Flows – your responses to the following questions will determine yay or nay. Your indulgence is, therefore, begged.

1. Non-UST Conti Mountain King Protection folding tyres: will these work happily with sealant or is that a complete non-starter?

2. 2.4 Contis – am I right in assuming Archs too narrow?

3. Having had a 'Badger' moment in the past, I'm considering that there caffelatex foaming stuff instead of Stans solution. Is this wise?

4. Anywhere in Bristol stock Stans and good for a build?

5. Extra bonus Q: If the answer to 1 is "Doomed to failure", will I end up suicidal if I try and change a tube if I combine my current tyres with Flows, pending new tyres?

Your nerd is appreciated, thank you.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Tubeless. Kindly impart geeky knowhow, poindexters;

Buy some mavic 819 rims. Buy some decent tubeless tires eg maxxis lust high rollers. Build wheel, fit tire, forget. Got it?

MrNutt
    Free Member

+1 MrGranarararaaaaaaaH saids.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Arches are fine with 2.4 tyres

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

If the MTX rims are going spare I'd be intrested.. email in profile!

mboy
    Free Member

And normal conti tyres are ok for use tubeless too. Not the tightest of beads, but tighter than most.

Nothing at all wrong with Stans sealant, it's the best IMO

Eccles
    Free Member

Thank you all. I will look again at 819s – though tried some early Mavic UST setup and had more success with MTX & rimstrips, hence now looking at Stans.

rockthreegozy – The MTX are a bit shagged, to be honest, not 100% straight, slightly drilled valve hole and the odd flat spot, but once I've got a quote I'll let you know if they come off neatly and you'd be welcome to em – always happy to recycle. Might be a week or 6 yet though, will probably drop the hubs off for a build whilst off skiing.

Ta again.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Cheers. Probably not as shagged as the one on the rear of the bike just now..

Kahurangi

I have a similar set-up

1. Non-UST Conti Mountain King Protection folding tyres: will these work happily with sealant or is that a complete non-starter?

2. 2.4 Contis – am I right in assuming Archs too narrow?

3. Having had a 'Badger' moment in the past, I'm considering that there caffelatex foaming stuff instead of Stans solution. Is this wise?

1. I'm running Continental Mountain Ming Supersonic (BC compound) on Stan's 355's with Stan's sealant.

2. The 355's are the same width as Arch's. They're ok. If I was buying again I'd wait for some Flows to come up, but I didn't.

3. I have heard that the Caffelatex stuff goes hard quite quickly on non UST (i.e. super tight seal) set-ups. I've been running this combo since… mid November. No burps (running 15-20 psi, depending on whether to check the pressures), no punctures and I can still hear sealant running around inside.

I didn't have too much drama getting inflated either. I only had a track pump but gave it a try anyway. Made harder by using my old tyres.

1) If you pull the try bead onto the rim bead it's sticks a little. If you do this all the way around one side you'll have just about seated one side.

2)Attach pump, position tyre to stop the air going straight out and pump like buggery till the tyre goes up and the beads are seated.

3) Remove valve core and add sealant. Pump again (over inflate to 50 psi to make sure you are leaking and sealing all the holes), spin wheel and sake vigorously to seal holes (an old tyre had loads, a new one, none) and valve base. Keep doing this till it holds pressure for hours.

4) Go riding. Forget about punctures, but carry a repair kit so you can feel smug when it's unused in 5 years time.

HTH

\edit – the poindexter jab it taken as a complement. :-p

allankelly

Ambassador! With this tubeless website you are spoiling us.
    http://www.tubelesswheels.com

al.

starseven
    Free Member

Ust rims are Ok if you are happy to use ust tyres. Stans rims are better if you want to use standard tyres.

mickasaki
    Free Member

I got some 819s and conti UST tyres last week, went up fine with track pump, didnt bother with sealant as never get punctures at thetford anyway, put bike away in lock-up removed today to find both flat, bugger! Got some stans sealant now but surely they shouldn't really have needed it!

allankelly

Mick: how would that work then? You have air (various very small atoms/molecules) in a container made of a metal rim and a thick rubbery tyre in current near-freezing temperatures. So, you expect the air to stay in there!? Some sealant will seal the gaps. Not much required, shake it all about.
    al.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless. Kindly impart geeky knowhow, poindexters;’ is closed to new replies.