Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Tubeless jizz through the sidewalls – is the tyre knackered?
  • filks

Topped up a couple of my tyres with stan’s solution – have had them both for 1-2 years tubeless without issue and they’re both tubeless ready models – and now the sidewalls are leaking the stuff and tyres have taken a couple of rides to maintain pressure like before

Is this the effects of ‘ammonia based degradation’ of the sidewall? Does this mean they need replacing and I’ll certainly die through a blowout if I continue to use them? There is still plenty of tread on them….and new tyres are not cheap

sprinter2139
    Free Member

Tyre sidewalls just do that, if I leave mine in the back of my car and it gets hot when I come back there will be little bubbles of tyres fluid on the outside of the sidewalls.

I’ve always thought tyres are completely airtight, evidently they are not!

Unless they are really loosing a lot of fluid/air I wouldn’t worry.

nuke

Ive used Stans for years but its only in the last couple of years ive noticed the sidewalls of my tyres have a black wet look regardless of tyre brand (maxxis, schwalbe, onone)…doesn’t seem to be in issue though

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ratherbeintobago

Brand? Contis had a tendency to d this a while back.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Similar popped up the other day

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/g-one-tubeless-still-bleeding-sealant

and I often observe sweaty tubeless tyres as do many others it seems

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sweaty-tyres-tubeless

Fairly normal. Though I wouldn’t expect much lost pressure. As I mentioned in the first above thread, possibly something else is leaking the air, or you don’t have enough sealant. Shake the wheel and if you don’t hear sloshing, you need more sealant. Noting they do dry up over time.

Another thing is I notice sweaty tyres more when stored inside and possibly related to the heating. Oddly it seems to occur more on one side of the tyre than the other. Some tyres are worse than others. HR2 in particular.

Anyway, non-TR and TR tyres are not air tight. They require sealant. UST tyres however are as they have a tube like liner inside, which makes them heavy and generally unpopular.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Schwalbe TLE easy did this from new, just keep spinning and reinflating until all the holes are filled. I get new spots through the sidewalls after a tough ride especially through mobile rocks and the like where the tyre wall gets rubbed.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Some tyres do, others don’t. In my experience the really lightweight ones bleed stans though the sidewalls. but I’ve got over my unsustainable weight-weenie phase and use Exo rated tyres now.

I’ll not (hopefully!) jinx myself but they are very reliable in terms of that P word, go onto my rims with a track pump from new and I’ve never noticed any sidewalls leaking.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Some tyres do, others don’t. In my experience the really lightweight ones bleed stans though the sidewalls

I’ve never had the confidence to drop the casing weight and I’ve got exactly the same issue with supergravity casing, so it’s not just lightweights!

Consequently I’m writing-off tyres, due to flimsy sidewalls leaking like a sieve, long before the tread has had chance to become worn.

I used to run Maxxis dual ply on the rear but current rims don’t grip well enough at the bead with them, resulting in a couple of instances where tyres blew off the rim!

Any other tough side-walled tubeless recommendations would be much appreciated.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Is the sweating a problem though? I just wipe off and repump if necessary, all my sweaty tyres seal and don’t burp. There is some loss over time but I have had loss with every tubeless and tubed set up sweaty or not.
    Why do you feel the need to write a tyre off?

cuyahoga
    Free Member

deadkenny
    Some tyres are worse than others. HR2 in particular.

Whereas I’ve got a pair of HR2 on mine that remain bone dry …

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve always thought tyres are completely airtight, evidently they are not!

Genuine UST tyres are, but they appear to be a rare beast. The use of sealant and UST beads to make lighter ‘tubeless ready’ tyres has superseded them.

Any other tough side-walled tubeless recommendations would be much appreciated.

About to try some Spesh Grids. Be interested to see what others have to say about them.

stevextc
    Free Member

Age of tyres and use are possibly quite different.
    My commuter (tubes) has lots of tread left but the tyres are 7yrs old and the rubber is just degraded.

I suspect sunlight as well as extremes of temperature play a huge role.

I wouldn’t specifically worry about sweating but it might be a sign the rubber is starting to degrade ?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Because the weeping has got so bad now it’s got to the stage where I’m having to pop the tyre off and refill the sealant (2 stans measures) every month or less as it’s bone dry in there and begun deflating.

iainc

newish nobby nics, both about 4 months old, rear one weeps a lot, front not at all. Weird

5plusn8
    Free Member

Because the weeping has got so bad now it’s got to the stage where I’m having to pop the tyre off and refill the sealant (2 stans measures) every month or less as it’s bone dry in there and begun deflating.

Ahh Ok, I can see that would be irritating. Do you not use an injector so you don’t have to take the tyre bead off? I use very little sealant anyway, not even a measure and have not had any problems. Seems amazing that you are losing 2 measures a month!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

No, I’ve never bothered with an injector but to be honest I’d rather pop the bead off to look at what was in there (or not). I’m running procore on that bike too, so getting the bead to re-seat is relatively painless.

I also suspect there may be something attributable to wider rims possibly exposing more sidewall to abrasion than thinner rims.
    (2.35 Trailstar HD SG or a 40mm Syntace rim)

5plusn8
    Free Member

I also suspect there may be something attributable to wider rims possibly exposing more sidewall to abrasion than thinner rims.

Yeah maybe. I do get the same thing though.

chrismac

I have just replaced a Hans Dampf and Magic Mary because they did this all the time meaning the tyre would be down to about 10psi within 3 days. Not experienced this with other brands before

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Weirdly, I’ve got this problem at the minute with a HR2. Minion on exactly the same age on the front is fine. Didn’t think it was much of a problem but yesterday on a ride despite the pressure in the rear being find, it felt really squirmy, like the tyre needed more pressure in it so not sure of the sidewalls are knackered or not…

iainc

5plusn8 – Member
    Is the sweating a problem though? I just wipe off and repump if necessary, all my sweaty tyres seal and don’t burp. There is some loss over time but I have had loss with every tubeless and tubed set up sweaty or not.

POSTED 1 DAY AGO # REPORT-POST

interesting point, as my rear nobbby nic, which, as posted earlier on, is hardly worn and 4 months old, yet looks like a jizz sieve 🙂 It doesn’t lose air, and I topped the sealant up last week with a stans syringe. I am loathe to remove and bin the tyre, though am heading off for a 4 day riding weekend tomorrow.

I’m presuming that as it has a good amount of stans in it, and isn’t losing air, it will be fine ? (if a little sweaty)

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I get this from some tubeless tyres but not others

Current the rear on my trail bike (Bontrager SE4 team issue – this is pretty worn so not that surprising) and both the tyres on my DH bike (Maxxis Minion DHR 2 and DHF 2 – it doesn’t get ridden that much so while the tyres are in good condition they are old)

The Bontrager doesn’t seem to lose much presure that easily – I’d just ignore it and continue to ride if I were you

5plusn8
    Free Member

I’m presuming that as it has a good amount of stans in it, and isn’t losing air, it will be fine ? (if a little sweaty)

Mine have been sweating continuously for months, I haven’t had any issues other than going flat if not touched for 2-3 weeks. A quick pump most days before a ride and that’s that.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless jizz through the sidewalls – is the tyre knackered?’ is closed to new replies.